BY PASSING SA

• I am having a terrible time trying to update to any serice patch. It is looking for a password for user sa. I know th password is correct that I am using but it will not accept it. Any way to bypass this so I can update to a service pack?

• Is the SQL Server setup to use NT authentication only or is it setup for mixed mode? If it's setup for NT authentication mode, you can't login with a SQL Server login like sa. Can you log in with sa from Query Analyzer?

K. Brian Kelley

bk@warpdrivedesign.org

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I have had problems with SPs. One thing I learned was to stop the services before starting the SP install.

If you look in the /winnt folder there should be a sqlsp.log or something similar. You can see in this log where the install fails.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• If you are trying to apply the Service Pack on the NT Machine,try logging in as the local admin for that machine and try.We had the same kind of problem while applying the SP3 on SQL Server 7.0 on WinNT.It went smoothly when logged in as the local admin and applied the service pack.

Hope this will help you.

• I agree about the logging in as a LOCAL admin to the box if you can. I've had issues on non mixed mode machines where my account was a domain admin but the sp still wouldn't apply.

Wes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply