Buffer cache size much lower than Max Memory config + low PLE

• sql-lover (5/26/2014)

TheSQLGuru (5/24/2014)

Like I said - I have no knowledge of their official stance or policies regarding SP/CU releases. But they have moved to MUCH more rapid releases now with WASD being the first to receive all new stuff, and that stuff isn't necessarily getting SP-level testing and it is also taking up testing/QA resources that could be used for full-blown SP-level testing for new SPs for on-prem software builds. And all you really need to do is simply look at the gaps for each major build between SPs.

Then I would be more careful about giving such recommendations to others. While CUs may fix some SQL server issues, they are not extensively tested as Service Packs are (confirmed by some MS engineers when I used to work for HP). In fact, they can introduce bugs that you did not have.

I personally would not install a CU unless I am experiencing a known issue that was specifically addressed on that CU, and after doing some testing on my Dev environment, of course.

I had a coworker a couple of years ago that installed a CU for SQL 2008 R2, not looking to fix anything in particular just to stay patched, and ended with a CPU utilization issue that involved MS and some downtime.

1) If you read my posts again you will see that no where did I recommend that anyone apply anything. I simply stated the SIGNIFICANT collection of issues that come from waiting for a SQL Server Service Pack, or that you could introduce when you apply an SP.

2) I have had WAY more clients (and seen way more forum posts) about getting screwed by an f'd up Service Pack than I have from applying Cummulative updates. Go review every service pack issued for SQL Server since SQL 2005 RTM and check the percentage that have introduced problems. You will find that is NOT a good number. Because of that I STRONGLY urge my clients to NOT install Service Packs until they wait at LEAST a week after release and check forums et al for problems that bleeding edge adopters get smacked by.

Anyway, I think we have beat this dead horse enough. Signing off now.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply