Books/On-line resources For Newbies

• What would be good on-line resource/books for someone new to SQL Server?

• If you have SQL Server, the Books OnLine is SQL Server's HELP. It's installed as part of the Client Tools and you can find it at Start>Programs>Microsoft SQL Server>Books OnLine. That's your best source of information.

You can also find it on Microsoft's website. I believe it's a free download, but I'm not positive.

-SQLBill

• The other really REALLY good resource is SQLServerCentral.com! Pour through the forums and read the questions and answers and learn!!!  Ask questions.  You'll get responses from some of the best!

Steve

• http://www.sqlcourse.com is a good starting place to learn how to construct simple SQL Queries.  There is also the followup site http://www.sqlcourse2.com.

Cheers,

Angela

• I have two SQL Server books.

One is for all of the basics involving SQL Server 2000.

It is one of those SAMS Teach Yourself SQL Server 2000 in 21 Days books. I don't use it much anymore, but it does come in handy from time to time as a hardcopy reference. I used to also have a WROX book that pretty much had the same info in it but I gave that one to a friend in need.

The other book I find I am using much more often is THE GURU'S GUIDE TO TRANSACT-SQL by Ken Henderson. It has great discussions and examples on optimizing your SQL coding and database design. The ISBN is 0201615762.

I hope this helps,

Al

"I will not be taken alive!" - S. Hussein

• I would Suggest "SQL for Smarties" by Joe Celko.  it is very comprehensive about SQL architecture and design of relational databases.  also he is very active in the google newsgroups (to me a big plus... it shows he cares)

I would say if you are building anything with a hierarchy it is a MUST HAVE as his nested set and adjacency models are probobly the most used chapters of any of the books I own

HTH

Tal McMahon

Kindest Regards,

Tal Mcmahon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply