Blocking a dimension in a role.

• Hi Forum,

This is in SQL 2005 Standard Edition.

I have a cube with 10 dimensions and about 50 measures. People in our company may or may not be able to see everything depending on the department they work for.

In the first role that I'm trying to create I don't want people to be able to see/use a dimension called dimSalesPerson. Here's how I set my role.

General: No option selected

Membership: A group on our domain

Data Sources: Read access to my datasource

Cubes: Access:Read, Local/Drillthrough: None, Process:Unchecked

Cell Data: Nothing

Dimensions: In Inherit I unchecked my dimSalesPerson dimension. In the Access Column I had to leave Read because the only 2 options I have are Read and and Read/Write. I don't know why there's no "None" option.

Dimension Data: I didn't touch this.

I deployed my solution and processed the cube. Now I browse it in Visual Studio with the credentials of my role and I can still view my data by SalesPerson.

What am I doing wrong ?

• I thought maybe I misunderstood what the "Inherit" column does so I decided to go 1 step further and add security to the dimension data.

In the Dimension Data tab I choose my dimSalesPerson dimension and for the dimension and each of the attributes I clicked "Deselect All Members".

That didn't help and after deploying and processing the cube I can still see measures for that dimension when browsing the cube with this role.

• I'm puzzled :unsure:

I'm following the examples from the book I'm learning from which says that I have to uncheck "Inherit" this is actually what prevented it from working.

I enabled it and left all my attributes deselected in the Dimension Data tab and now it works !

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply