Big Northwind with AI

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Big Northwind with AI

• Thanks for showcasing the reality of the accuracy and usefulness of AI. I wish more such posts come into mainstream and reduce the hype caused by the linkedin posts, youtube videos, and other online content.

• I have similar experience, ChatGPT generated T-SQL code to calculate local min and max nodes from a function that was defined by set of values in a given table. As expected code had some syntax errors and was not runnable in SSMS.

When I pointed out in dialog that code is not working and requires debugging the next version was ok. I got a slight sensation that instead of ChatGPT I was talking to a “mechanical Turk” person who has access to SSMS and managed to debug code.  It like old Russian proverb - do not trust and always double and triple check!

• I've found ChatGPT to be most useful when asked to summarize the tools and steps involved in implementing a process.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• To date, I'm the least impressed with BING AutoPilot and Claude 3.5 Sonnet.  I'm especially disappointed in Claude 3.5 Sonnet because it doesn't seem to provide references like the others do.

I've found ChatGPT 4o to be better but only a little.

I like the "language" that Perplexity.AI uses and how well it explains things.  It also seems to me that it comes up with better answers and it tries to avoid RBAR answers, in a lot of cases (and explains that it has avoided the RBAR answer).

They all still have a "suck" factor, though.  Although Perplexity.AI seems to dig out the "better" answers, NONE of them have correctly answered the following question correctly nor similar questions.  The reason why is because of the overwhelming number of people, including large numbers of supposed "experts", that actually don't get the answer right either.

Here's the question and a copy of one of the answers that they all boil down to.  The answer is patently incorrect but, doing a normal Google search, you'll find out why it came up with that answer.

AI Claude Convert DATETIME2 value to DATETIME datatype

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

To date, I'm the least impressed with BING AutoPilot and Claude 3.5 Sonnet.  I'm especially disappointed in Claude 3.5 Sonnet because it doesn't seem to provide references like the others do.

I've found ChatGPT 4o to be better but only a little.

I like the "language" that Perplexity.AI uses and how well it explains things.  It also seems to me that it comes up with better answers and it tries to avoid RBAR answers, in a lot of cases (and explains that it has avoided the RBAR answer).

They all still have a "suck" factor, though.  Although Perplexity.AI seems to dig out the "better" answers, NONE of them have correctly answered the following question correctly nor similar questions.  The reason why is because of the overwhelming number of people, including large numbers of supposed "experts", that actually don't get the answer right either.

Here's the question and a copy of one of the answers that they all boil down to.  The answer is patently incorrect but, doing a normal Google search, you'll find out why it came up with that answer.

AI Claude Convert DATETIME2 value to DATETIME datatype

What is the correct answer?

If you tell me I'll see if I can drag it out of one of the AI sites with an improved prompt.

• Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

What is the correct answer?

If you tell me I'll see if I can drag it out of one of the AI sites with an improved prompt.

I'd like to hold off a bit on that because I'm writing an article about it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply