Best Use of "Expansion Module" on HP 6400 Smart Array Controller

• Greetings All -

I am configuring a new DL585 w/ Dual Core AMD Opterons to run SQL Server on Win2003 Server. An MSA-30 enclosure holds the main storage disks.

This new HP Smart Array 6404 Controller has something I've never seen before: an "Expansion module" that creates a second on board controller. In the SmartStart ACU I see 2 physically different Controller cards Smart Array 6400 Controller in Slot 2

Smart Array 6400 EM Controller in Slot 2b

See http://docs.hp.com/en/J6369-90011/J6369-90011.pdf

The Array Config plan is:

C: - 2 disks @ RAID 1 = System

F: - 2 disks @ RAID 10 = SQL Logs

G: - 5 Disks @ RAID 5 = SQL Data

H: - 5 Disks @ RAID 5 = SQL Backups

I would appreciate any input as to how to best put this "extra" controller to use, or, if there are any caveats you might know about (such as limited backup battery life or cache-writeback oddities... anything).

I'm thinking to put the System + SQL Data on the "Main" controller, with SQL Logs + Backups on the "Expansion Module". This separates the heavy I/O subsystems onto the different controllers. Any other input would be appreciated. Isolate the OS onto one of them? Flip a coin maybe?

Thanks in advance for all input,

Stuart

Stuart

"Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast. In the pool where you least expect it, will be a fish" - Ovid

• I don't know about the extra controller but I wonder whether you'd get better performance from combining G and H together, more spindles in the array = better performance.

It's not like you're going to be hammering the disk all of the time with backups anyway so maybe that's another option to consider.

• Thanks for the input, Mike. Very sensible.

Push came to shove and I ended up isolating the data on the Expansion Module controller, eveything else (System, Logs and Backups) on the Primary controller. So the Logs and Data are on "separate" controllers.

I'm not altogether convinced about the overall benefits of this technology since both controllers share the same 64-bit/133 mhz PCI slot. But it does look as if they each have their own separate battery backed caches so that could make it all worthwhile. It was quite a surprise to see two controllers and I'm glad I was able to do something to perhaps eek out a little extra performance. Can't hurt. 

If anything earth-shattering results from this configuration I will be sure to post back to the list.

Thanks again!

Stuart

"Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast. In the pool where you least expect it, will be a fish" - Ovid

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply