Best Report Writer/Most Popular Report Writer

• Curious to see what most people are using to write reports for SQL Server?

I'm running Crystal Reports XI personally, but have been having issues with a couple of features and support is near non-existant now that BusinessObjects is owned by SAP.

How many others out there are using Crystal Reports? If you aren't using it, are you using SQL Server Reporting Services or something else?

Does anyone know of a good Crystal Reports Forum? Seems like the SAP one is kind of a joke. Of course, I'm comparing it to the standard set by SQL Server Central and my Jeepforum, which are two of the best forums I've ever used. 🙂

• Reporting Services.

• I use SSRS and now with the RepotViewer control in .NET it's even better.

• Do you know if there is a Java plugin for SSRS? I know there is one currently for Crystal, but as our company migrates from COBOL to Java, we are looking at re-writing our reports in the Crystal format and embedding them in our app.

• I am not in a java shop so I am not aware of any java plug-ins for SSRS.

• Do you mean something like this? http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-01-2005/jw-0110-sqlrs.html

• Josh:

I'm a report writer and use both Crystal XI r2 and SSRS 2005. My overall opinion is that SSRS 2005 is better than Crystal, but there are some features in Crystal that are non-existent or difficult to implement in SSRS (e.g., "underlay following sections" in Crystal is a feature not native in SSRS, cumbersome workaround can simulate.) Also, Crystal has the native ability to read a file structure on your PC or network fileserver; nothing native in SSRS to do that -- certainly this isn't a commonly needed feature, but sure is nice to have when you do need it. My only real complaint about SSRS 2005 is that it can't handle multiple font styles in a single textbox; with Crystal, you can nest a variety of textboxes within themselves and declare each one with it's own style/format --> SSRS 2008 can do this, however.

Regardless of the issues mentioned above, SSRS 2005 wins out on flexibility. Conditional formatting seems easier to me; suppressing objects feels more obvious, too. The ability to nest multiple subreports is a plus. I like having parameters visible at the top of the report viewer; Crystal Reports displays an initial parameters screen to the user before revealing the report. Overall, I produce 90% of my work in SSRS.

I've toyed with SSRS 2008, and based on my limited experience and all that I've read, SSRS 2008 is absolutely the way to go. I wish our company had the cash to upgrade to SQL Server 2008.

As for user support for Crystal, I recommend getting a paid subscription to Experts-Exchange.com. It doesn't cost that much, and most of the people there are brilliant. Whenever I haven't been able to overcome a problem in Crystal, 9 out of 10 times someone on EE comes up with a viable solution. Initially I didn't like the idea of having to pay for getting answers, but I've certainly gotten my monies worth out of EE.

If you need help with SSRS, certainly check out the SSRS discussion forum here on SQLServerCentral. Also check out Microsoft's msdn SSRS forum[/url].

--pete

• SSRS 2005

• We are migrating from Crystal to SSRS because SSRS is free with SQL Server and maintaining Crystal is soo darn expensive! The switch was painful at first (I am a Report Developer) but once I figured out a few quirks and realized that the easiest way is to do as much as possible in the sql, I have grown to really enjoy this tool.

If you do decide to stick with Crystal, tek-tips.com is a great resource - I have always found an answer there. For SSRS, though, the very best source is right here of course!

Sandi

• At current employer, SSRS 2005 & 2008 - better suited to an audience that prefers exporting to Excel & spinning the data from there. I'm using 2008 Express with the .net controls for web reporting -- pros: 2008 is much more feature-rich, and a free license is way cheaper than per-cpu licensing. Con: I have to copy all data onto the reporting server since Express can't address data on other instances, so this limits how much I'm willing/able to make reporting data available.

I've used Crystal 9 through 11 in the past, and my take is that it's better for anything that has to look perfect when printed (invoices, client forms, etc).

In my experiences and in the Minneapolis market, it's been easier & cheaper to find a Crystal consultant than SSRS. Possibly because I've seen most with SSRS experience also having (semi)dba skills, but Crystal developers seem to come from varying backgrounds.

• In my experiences and in the Minneapolis market, it's been easier & cheaper to find a Crystal consultant than SSRS. Possibly because I've seen most with SSRS experience also having (semi)dba skills, but Crystal developers seem to come from varying backgrounds.

That is a broad generalization on the Enterprise all Report Developers I have worked with are developers, if there are more DBA SSRS developers that is related to SSRS rejecting crappy T-SQL which most developers write. I have worked in Crystal Report projects and SSRS projects.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• You're right, it is a generalization. Like I said, "In my experiences and in the Minneapolis market". I don't intend to speak for anyone else or any other market, and what you've encountered and found in your market may well be different.

If you want to speak about your market, I'd enjoy hearing what's happening in markets outside mine, but let's not hijack this thread.

• Hey Pete

Your mentioning casually that there is a workaround to simulate the "underlay following sections" in SSRS 2005.

But how? I'm desperatly searching a solution for that problem.

Regards,

Luzia

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply