Benchmarking software....

• We're looking towards moving everything to a virtual environment but in order for me to be fully convinced (read a lot aboput virtual sql environments being slower that physical) i want to run some benchmark tests. I know i can use SQLIO for the disks but i'd also like to know what software other people use for benchmarking CPU's / memory??? I've had a look at performance test by passmark but interested to know if there's any others tried n tested out there.

_________________________________________________________________________________SQLGeordieWeb:- Jarrin ConsultancyBlog:- www.chrisjarrintaylor.co.ukTwitter:- @SQLGeordie

• Heh... corporate made the brilliant decision to move our SQL Servers to VM. We're a "sub division" of the main company and had to comply. We've had nothing but problems ever since. And, guess what? Corporate doesn't use VM for their servers. 😉

While I realize there are purported advantages to VM and other methods of "server consolidation", it's just not worth the hassle to me.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Swirl80 (8/20/2009)

We're looking towards moving everything to a virtual environment but in order for me to be fully convinced (read a lot aboput virtual sql environments being slower that physical) i want to run some benchmark tests. I know i can use SQLIO for the disks but i'd also like to know what software other people use for benchmarking CPU's / memory??? I've had a look at performance test by passmark but interested to know if there's any others tried n tested out there.

Hi, can you let me know what you used as we're considering VM for SQL as well but I too have no doubts and would like to run some benchmark tests.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply