bcp password prompt

• good morning,

I have written a sql script to build some bcp out statements in a file to be run as a batch.  In this script, I have coded in the password (I know - not good practice, but its a test system).  Everything looks good with the batch file the script creates.  However, when I run the batch file, I am prompted for a password, even though it is in the script.  When I run the command exactly as it appears in the batch file, it runs without prompting for a password.

Environment is SQL 2000 SP3 and bcp 8.00.832

anyone have any idea on how to prevent the prompts?  I have over 800 tables to bcp out and can't really type in the password 800+ times.

thanks....

Peter

• It would be good if you posted one of the offending lines of code (sans password)... there's lot's of options in BCP...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• have you tried what happens if you don't type in the password. This is a hit and try method. The other thing could be that it is not recognizing that you have enterd a password - so check there is no space between them.

I remember writing bcp commands without problem. we even used the environment variables to save passwords.

btw, just wondering, is using the environment variables to save passwords a good practice?  

• Or, the OP could post the offending code, sans password, so we can actually try to troubleshoot the command for him

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I figured it out.  For a field terminator I was using a pipe, but I was using the notation we use when doing it in Unix.  It looked like this:

-t\|

when it should have looked like this:

-t"|"

once I made the change, I was no longer prompted and bcp used the password I provided.  I don't know exactly why \| didn't work, so if anyone can explain that, great.

• Because the "pipe" character is not one of those "special" characters... \t doesn't mean "use [t] as the delimiter", for example... it means "use a tab as the delimiter".  the [|] character is not on the reserved list of characters so it must be a literal in the command...

... and thanks for the feedback.  Most folks just go on their merry way when they figure something out for themselves...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Peter, haveyou tried the -T option to connect with your windows id, then you will not need to enter your password.

george

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Great idea, George... just keep in mind that only works if you're calling BCP via xp_CmdShell in T-SQL or you have Windows Authentication enabled on the server...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (21/09/2007)

Great idea, George... just keep in mind that only works if you're calling BCP via xp_CmdShell in T-SQL or you have Windows Authentication enabled on the server...

... and you don't use "Local System account" to start SQL Server. :hehe:

• george sibbald (9/21/2007)

Peter, haveyou tried the -T option to connect with your windows id, then you will not need to enter your password.

george

I did try that but it was still failing because of the \|.  Once I resolved that, both -T and -U, -P worked fine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply