Baselining servers

• Hi,

Just wondering how everyone goes about creating a baseline for your server/s performance and then comparing it when troubleshooting for performance issues and/or tuning?

I have found plenty of articles about capturing data, but nobody seems to discuss when you actually come to use it, how to go about comparing it accurately and quickly.

I've personally had some thoughts about uploading perfmon counters into a table, then making comparisons based on AVG, MAX and MIN within a specific timeframe for different dates.

While this might be ok, I don't see how the process of capturing and loading these perfmon traces into SQL could be automated, due to the output of perfmon.

I'd like to hear if anyone has any suggestions or would care to share what they do.

Thanks,

Akeel.

• My thoughts:-

1. In Microsoft Server 2003 R2, you have an option of dumping your perfmon counters into a table.

Though this would result in lots of data and would sequentially grow if you include lots of counters and objects.

2. Sql 2005 has a DMV called sys.dm_os_performance_counters which gives same data as perfmon but in this case

you have to poll this DMV regularly and store the results and analyze them later.

Lately i have been thinking of benchmarking the server performance and your idea of avg and max sounds good to me.

I have started noting the Avg Disk queue length, %processor time and Batch Requests/sec, to figure out the current usage.

Thats all i can think of right now 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply