backwards/forwards compatibility in ss

• Hello, what are the SS rules around forwards compatibility? For example, I have a SS2014 DB instance but I'm able to query it through SSMS2012 Express. Also, I backed up a SS2012 database and restored it into a SS2014 instance which works as expected. Should I also be able to back up a SS2014 instance that was restored from SS2012 and restore it into a separate SS2012 instance?

• You can connect with SSMS to any version of SQL Server (AFAIK), but you might be missing some options due to compability.

You can restore a backup from 2 previous versions, but you can't restore a backup from a newer version.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • You can't go down with the backups. 2014 has a different file structure than 2012 which has a different one from 2008R2, etc.

As Luis said, some functionality will work from older versions of SSMS, but it's limited. I haven't tried it, but I'll be solid money you can't connect to a 2014 instance from the 2000 version of Management Studio. However, for the ones you can connect on, the query window will work fine. It's everything else that's likely to break. I haven't tried connecting to 2005 from 2014, but I know you can connect to 2008, 2008R2 & 2012.

For the most part, for the best functionality, have the latest version installed and connect down. While you may be able to connect up, you're going to run into issues.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply