Backwards Compatible??

• I have been doing some DBA work for a while now and I typically match vendor recommendations for their databases to the actual version of SQL Server. I now have a vendor insisting that all 2005 databases can run on 2008 because it is "backwards compatible". If they were just making this recommendation for their DB, so be it. However, they are creating a bit of a buzz that we can take ALL of our 2005 databases and run them on the 2008 engine.

I have plenty of items running on 2005 at an 80 compatibility level, but it is my understanding that is very different than running on SQL Server 2000.

Can someone help with this? Am I misunderstanding?

• Yes it is not "advised" as means to permanent solution to avoid updating/fixing your code. Compatibility mode was designed so your upgrade processes becomes less painful. "Use sp_dbcmptlevel as an interim migration aid to work around version differences in the behaviors that are controlled by the relevant compatibility level setting. If existing SQL Server applications are affected by behavioral differences in SQL Server 2005, convert the application to work properly" (BOL, Ref #1).

That said/read I do have databases running in compatibility mode for longer time then expected because developers are not willing to up-date their code. So it sits where it is, we use the phrase until sun-sets the application will stay that way so will database. Another thing to note even though the compatibility mode is 80, or 90 once you upgrade it to 2008 you cannot downgrade it. It becomes a 2008 database.

List of compatibility chart in 2005: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178653(SQL.90).aspx

List of compatibility chart in 2008: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb510680.aspx

Thanks.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply