Backup/Restore SQL7 with SQL2k

• Are there any problems with using SQL2k to backup and restore SQL7 databases? We have a mix of SQL7 and SQL2k servers now. I have tested this and it seems to work fine. Wondering if there are any hidden dangers or problems.

• If for some reason the DB gets upgraded by 2000 then you will not be able to put back. Have not heard of any direct issues otherwise but I would always feel 100% safer with 7 backups done thru 7 myself.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• The reason I ask is that we use Veritas BackupExec to do our backups. BackupExec requires and installation of SQL Server in order to access the DLL files to do SQL backups. If SQL2k does it all, then we only need one installation. Otherwise we will have to install both SQL7 and SQL2k on the same server (the backup server). We're up to the limit on disk space on this server, and having both is not possible. Plus, I'm not sure how well they would operate together on the same server.

Thanks.

• Why don't you do backup files of the SQL server and zip them even to really save space then move to the backup server and do a file level backup thru Veritas instead of the SQL backup.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• There has been a discussion on this a year ago, and Operations won out with their plan. Seems to be the classic case of DBA vs SA and who controls the backups. I might have to revisit this.

A related question - when using EM (whether SQL7 or SQL2k), does it matter whether or not I am using it on various versions of databases/servers? Doesn't it simply pass on the backup command to the server? In other words, isnt it the remote server which is doing the work, not EM? So, in theory, it should not matter which version of EM you are using. Or am I way off base here?

• 100% correct, EM just submits the command for the backup, the server does the work.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply