Backup using mobile disk

• Hello,

Does anyone of you have experience with using mobile harddisk as backup device?

The reason I'm asking is because of the following:

Currently our sql server runs on a windows 2003 standard edition.

The machine sometimes  becomes fully unresponsive after/during a backup on an USB-attached driver. Oddly no blue-screen appears.

Thanks in advance

• My experience is don't use USB, use Firewire instead.

I have a seperate server using Firewire to connect to the external HD, created a share on that server, then use the UNC path for the external HD in the SQL Server backup statement.

When I attempted this with USB, I found too many errors, whether the backup wrote directly to the HD or to the local HD, then XCOPY the backup file, especially when the file is larger than 16GB.

With Firewire and Windows 2003, I see far fewer issues.

Andy

• FWIW, i've used a variety of firewire and USB devices; any firewire or US device that had an external power supply always worked fine for me, but most backups I did were around a gig in size; not all that big really.

I tried a pair of USB drives that pulled their power from two USB connections alone, with no external power supply; they were flakey and would sometimes appear that they were "unsafely disconnected" during a backup or other large fileshare operation.

with SATA drives being so inexpensive for a 250 gig drive nowadays, you can add a lot of space for a hundred bucks real quick, wether internal or external.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Try to find with the server manufacturer if there are any issues with that particular system. May be a bios update will solve the problem.

I have found same problems with external USB 2.0 drives and same servers, even Compaq servers. In same cases the drive works, but when i restart the server, it doesn´t boot - and report a hardware failure...

• I'll search for new drivers, biosses.

Thanks for suggestions.

• Turned out of to be a faulty usb driver. Reinstalling the mobile disk with the windows usb driver fixed it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply