Backup up databases on an Instance

• How often should you backup the master, msdb, and the model databases for a named instance? I know that the documentation says you should back them up after specific actions in the instance, but is it easier(and prudent) to just schedule them for a weekly backup?

Thanks for the help.

• Given the time it takes to perform maintenance and the size of the backup files, there is no reason why you can't do it nightly.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• The solution i try is.

take a backup every Sunday sheduled by an backup job.

Every time I change Data in an Job or Maintain user accounts I run the Job manually.

You must look at the funktion of the system databases.

For example:

User Account to connect to SQl Server where stored in master db.

Jobs where stored in msdb.

and so on.

For more information look in BOL to see exactly which system databases stores what information.

Kind Regards

Michael

• Given they are usually just a few 10s of MBs, every day is feasible. I do. I also run it manually after any server level changes (new db, new login, new job etc)

msdb contains your backup histories so do at least that

• The easy answer is daily (master, model, msdb in one maintenance plan) keeping 3 days online (our site standard). To be more precise (minimalist) for those tight on disk space:

model -- after initial installation, service packs and hot fixes and after you've put special procedures/rules/defaults/etc into it so that they exist in all subsequent databases created or they are needed in tempdb

master -- after initial installation, service packs, hot fixes, database alters/creation, login changes, server role modifications.

msdb -- after initial installation, service packs and hot fixes at a minimum. If you use scheduled tasks or maintenance plans (probably just about everybody) then daily.

Hope that this helps.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I know this is kind of redundant, but I backup our system databases everyday. Considering the fact that they are so small, and take so little time there is no good reason not to.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply