Backup SQL Express Database

• Hi all,

I amnew to this env. How can i backup SQL Express 2005 database. I tried installing SSMS but it did not let me. How can i do backup from command level?

Thanks

• It won't let you install SSMS? That seems strange. Did it give you an error message on that?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Just so you know, SSMS Express (if that is what you are trying to install) doesn't support scheduled backups. If your app that is using the SQL Express database doesn't support scheduled backups you'll have to rely on a third party backup product or write a stored procedure, call it from a sql script that you execute with SQLCMD from the Windows Schedule Tasks.

Steve

SQL Managed

• You must use SSMS Express to manage your SQL Express databases and run manual backups. However, because SQL Express lacks of SQL Agent you won't be able to schedule backup jobs.

On the other hand you can use http://sqlbackupandftp.com. The tool lets you create manual or scheduled backups. You can also save your backups in a remote location on your LAN or FTP sites, compression and encryption is also available.

Version 6.0 provides some interesting advanced options such as differential and transaction log backups.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply