Backup size should restrict to 4 GB

• Hello,

Monthly we have to copy the databases to a DVD and give a copy to the department head.

now the databse have crossed 4 GB.

is there a way to take FULL backupbut to split it to several parts when it reaches 4 GB mark. Baclup and Restore should happen without any other 3rd party tool.

thanks for help in advance.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• You can stripe a backup over multiple devices, but you need to figure out how many to get the size you want.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • If you have a sql 2008 ent or 2008 R2 Standard you could always enable compressions.

However you can't restore there compress and then rebackup because you couldn't restore that on sql 2005.

• does the job automatically backup to a DVD? i was thinking you backup to a file and then use some DVD burning app to span multiple DVD's.

or ask to buy a blu ray burner, i hear they are cheap now

• Why not use a utility like WinRAR to compress and span (if needed). Most likely, using a compression utility will give you a long time before you have to actually span across DVD's.

I haven't used one recently, but - they usually come with the ability to create a self-extracting executable so the departments can easily just double-click the file on the DVD and expand the archive.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• ... because he said no 3rd party app!

I agree tho... it can easily give between 50% and 90% compression.

I also like the blue-ray idea. Not the longest fix to put in place either.

• how about good old winzip, that can hardly be called a third party app.

If the database is not being reindexed, that might be enough to take the backup size back below 4GB (for a while anyway)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald (6/27/2011)

how about good old winzip, that can hardly be called a third party app.

If the database is not being reindexed, that might be enough to take the backup size back below 4GB (for a while anyway)

ya but how do u reindex when you are already out of room :-D.

• I read it as the backup was too big to fit on a DVD, rather than data files out of space on disk.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• If you are going to throw out 3rd party compression programs, how about 7Zip (which is free).

• george sibbald (6/27/2011)

I read it as the backup was too big to fit on a DVD, rather than data files out of space on disk.

Brainfart! I had another thread in mind (the one trying to circumbvant the 4 GB limit in sql express 2k5).

• Thanks for the posts guys.

Backup dome automatically through a job and maually write it on DVD.

Blueray option only management can decide on it.

i found out option of specifying 2 or more files name and it is splitting it equally.

is there a way to split first peice to 4GB and remaining on second. when it goes to 8GB above first 2 should be 4 gb and remining in third through any scheduler available in SQL 2005.

Note: windows zip is not zipiing a 4GB file. we cant use other third party tools.

thanks in advance.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• durai nagarajan (6/28/2011)

is there a way to split first peice to 4GB and remaining on second. when it goes to 8GB above first 2 should be 4 gb and remining in third through any scheduler available in SQL 2005.

Not natively in a SQL backup. You can stripe to multiple pieces of the same size, but you need to work out how many that is.

I'm sure winrar has a command-line option, so you could backup, rar to 4GB chunks and burn in a job. Will take some work to get the right command syntax, but I'm pretty sure it's doable.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • thanks

informed Sys admin team about it for winzip or win rar. waiting for reply.

just a thought is it not an issue SQL 2005 is giving option to specify file name manually(not auto with size limitations).

will this available atleast in sql 2008?.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• If I understand your question, you want to know if you can specify the file names for multiple file backups?

This is a part of the BACKUP command. You enter the file names and paths in the command.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186865.aspx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply