backup problem

• I have a backup of a database say 'new' in one instance and I want to restore that database in an another instance in SQL 2000. How do i do it , can anyone suggest me the solution. Any help would be really appreciated

• You can try this:

RESTORE FILELISTONLY

FROM DISK = 'c:\New.bak'

RESTORE DATABASE NewRestored 

FROM DISK = 'c:\New.bak'

WITH MOVE 'New' TO 'c:\NewRestored.mdf',

MOVE 'New_log' TO 'c:\NewRestored.ldf'

where New.bak ise the file name of your backup database

and NewRestored is the new name of database 'new'

• You can also connect to the other instance of SQL Server within Enterprise Manager and expand the server and right-click on the 'Databases' folder, select 'All Tasks', and click on 'Restore Database...'

You then get a dialog box that will ask you to name the database you are restoring. Select the 'From device' radio button and then click on the 'Select Devices...' button to browse to the location of your backup file. It must be on a local drive. If the instances are on the same server then you must change the file names on the options tab.

HTH

• I recommend Valentina's step.  At work I have similar steps that I backup several databases, compress the backup file move the compressed zip file to anohter server in different location, uncompress it zip file and restore the databases.  On the second server data and log files are located in different folder so once you have the script ready you can easily schedule the job.  Hope that helps.

Good day...

Bulent

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply