backup of master

• how do i take a backup of master database , can someone suggest me a clear, simple and understandable method as I am new to SQL server 2000

• Right click the database in Enterprise Manager, select Backup Database. pick a location and file name.

You can also setup a maintenance plan, select all "system dbs" and configure the backup options (time, location) to meet your needs.

• Just like any other database. However, you CANNOT do a transaction log backup of the master database. If you use a maintenance plan to do the backups, make sure you do not allow it to do the log backups.

-SQLBill

• Well, I believe differential database is also not allowed for 'Master' database.

• this is the error message that I got back after trying differential backup of master database

Server: Msg 3024, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

You can only perform a full backup of the master database. Use BACKUP DATABASE to back up the entire master database.

Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

So let's say that it's even possible I would still do/recommend full backup since Master database mostly less than 50 MB.  That way I restore the fulll backup and I am done.

here is the simple TSQL that backs up your master to your C:\ drive  check BOL for more about the backup database syntax.

BACKUP DATABASE Master TO DISK = 'C:\Master.Bak'

Good day,

Bulent

• thanx for suggesting me the solution, I really appreciate it

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply