Backup failing Error 23 CRC - Bad blocks

• Dear SQL Gods,

Recently, I took over the role of the SQL server administrator. 2 Months ago I set up the database maintenance plan to back up all databases. It has run smoothly until this week or so where the backup has failed 5 out of the past 6 days. I have tried new tapes, and a different tape drive and still end up with the same errors when attempting a backup whether it is the maintenance plan or just a single database ad hoc. I have also tried using the Windows 2000 server backup as well and it fails also. It is a small organization and this is not a space issue. No system changes have been made to the server in the time that the problems occurred. Any ideas? Thanks.

SQL Attempts bring these errors:

Errors from system log:

The device, \Device\Tape0, has a bad block.

Errors from SQL server log:

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [TechTrans] TO TAPE = N'\\.\Tape0' WITH NOINIT , NOUNLOAD , NAME = N'TechTrans backup', NOSKIP , STATS = 10, NOFORMAT

BackupTapeFile::LoadTape: PrepareTape failure on backup device '\\.\Tape0'. Operating system error 23(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).).

"There is no normal life, Wyatt. There is just life"
    ~Tombstone

• Tried backing up to disk? Does a backup of some junk file work ok? Definitely get some kind of backup done, even if you have to stop the service (keeping in mind service level agreements) and copying the mdf/ldf to a different server!

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Isolate the problem.

back up to disk, if it fails try another disk, then backup disk to tape. You have to get a valid backup asap.

-Isaiah

• All times I saw this message (cyclic redundancy check) I replaced the tape and it worked. But you can also try to initialize the tape changing the clause "NOINIT" to "INIT" when issuing the backup command.

quote:

Dear SQL Gods,

Recently, I took over the role of the SQL server administrator. 2 Months ago I set up the database maintenance plan to back up all databases. It has run smoothly until this week or so where the backup has failed 5 out of the past 6 days. I have tried new tapes, and a different tape drive and still end up with the same errors when attempting a backup whether it is the maintenance plan or just a single database ad hoc. I have also tried using the Windows 2000 server backup as well and it fails also. It is a small organization and this is not a space issue. No system changes have been made to the server in the time that the problems occurred. Any ideas? Thanks.

SQL Attempts bring these errors:

Errors from system log:

The device, \Device\Tape0, has a bad block.

Errors from SQL server log:

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [TechTrans] TO TAPE = N'\\.\Tape0' WITH NOINIT , NOUNLOAD , NAME = N'TechTrans backup', NOSKIP , STATS = 10, NOFORMAT

BackupTapeFile::LoadTape: PrepareTape failure on backup device '\\.\Tape0'. Operating system error 23(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).).

------------------------

Thiago Santinon

thisant@pop.com.br

ICQ# 4273335

------------------------

------------------------
    Thiago Santinon
    thisant@pop.com.br
    ICQ# 4273335
    ------------------------

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply