Backup BizTalk Server SQL Agent job missing

• Our server hosting the BT (and some other) dbs uses a third-party compression backup job for all non-system dbs. I have read that the BT backups are invalid unless they are done with the "Backup BizTalk Server SQL Agent job", which does not exist on our server.

Is there a way to recreate this job using the stored procs in the MgmtDB? Otherwise, what would be the amount of reinstallation that would need to be done to get this job in place?

BT 2006 R2/SQL 2005

TIA

• I don't have any experience with BizTalk, but I'd be interested in seeing the resource that says you need to backup the database special way for BizTalk in order for it to be valid. Can you post a link?

I would be willing to bet that a valid database backup will work as well, but I'm not sure.

• there are multiple biztalk dbs that need to be backed up to a consistent point across all the databases. there is nothing unusual about the backup, just the logic used to mark whereabouts in the tran log the backup needs to be made to.

havent used biztalk in a while but from what i remember all the sql agent job does is call a SP. i think the you can rip the code from here...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa546765(v=bts.10).aspx

• From

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952555#top

"The Backup BizTalk Server SQL Server Agent job is the only supported method to back up the BizTalk Server databases. This job requires all BizTalk Server databases use a Full Recovery Model. You should configure this job for a healthy BizTalk Server environment. The SQL Server methods can be used to back up the BizTalk Server databases only if SQL Server Agent is stopped and if all BizTalk Server host instances are stopped. "

• I'll take a look at the article, thanks. There are several sp_%Backup% stored procs in the Mgmt db, so I want to make sure I use the right ones in the right order.

• That article looks like it's giving me part of the solution, but there are some things regarding scheduling and file retention I'm still going to have to figure it out. I'm running tests today on our QA box (which also does not have the default backup job) and will let you know how it works out.

If anyone out there can provide a script of the job from a working server, that would be easiest.

Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply