Backup and Restoring from on Server to another

• Hi All,

I want to backup one SQLServer machine (Source) to another SQLServer machine (Backup). Once this is done, I want to have the backup machine updated on a daily basis to reflect changes to tables and procedures on the source machine. Is there a standard and automated way of doing this?

Thanks.

• Several ways Log shipping, Replication and clustering. Clustering is expensive to implement

Shas3

• I would prefer doing Log Shipping than the other options.

• Easy enough to script as a backup and restore as well.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

http://www.dkranch.net

• If your source-db is in simple-recovery-mode (yes, some vendors still recommend this for their apps), you can forget log-shipping and the only option left is backup/restore if you want the full db. (put the destination-db in read-only to avoid accidental updates)

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• quote:

Hi All,

I want to backup one SQLServer machine (Source) to another SQLServer machine (Backup). Once this is done, I want to have the backup machine updated on a daily basis to reflect changes to tables and procedures on the source machine. Is there a standard and automated way of doing this?

Thanks.

Agnaldo Silva

Agnaldo Silva

• You can implement the following strategy:

1-to do backup full

2-to do backup log in certain periods

3-restore in the stand by server the back full and applying the logs backups archives

Agnaldo Silva

Agnaldo Silva

• Thanks guys. I'm new to the backup/restore process and would really appreciate some sample/example backup/restore scripts. I know it's simple to you but I do need some examples. This would help me tremendously.

• I currently have log shipping setup and running in my production environment, and it is doing exactly what you are wanting to do. I used the procedure in the following link to set this up:

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/sql_server_log_shipping.asp

Dave Gradoville, MCDBA

Dave Gradoville, MCDBA

• I suggest reading the Books OnLine (refered to as BOL). It installs with SQL Server (Go to START>Programs>Microsoft SQL Server>Books OnLine).

Go to the Index tab and enter:

BACKUP DATABASE

Read the information there and then enter:

RESTORE DATABASE

Both will also give examples.

-SQLBill

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply