Backup and restore solution for 800TB of data

• rjohal-500813 (4/29/2010)

I hope the OP returns to clarify the situation. Perhaps he will when he has finished lugging the backup tapes onto the truck...

I don't envy the person who backs up a database of this size directly to tape. I also don't envy the person that must change those tapes:w00t:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/29/2010)

SQL 2008 now allows jobs to 10 sec.

Look at that, it does. I hadn't realized that I could get more granular there. However the docs (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175138%28v=SQL.100%29.aspx) need to update the docs to call out more second stuff. It allows recurrence on the minute only, and so you'd have to play games with multiple jobs.

• Agreed - documentation could be better.

Learn Extended Events

• Anyone seen the OP since this morning?

• Nope.

Learn Extended Events

• Lynn Pettis (4/29/2010)

Anyone seen the OP since this morning?

Forget it ... we know the answer is that it is probably in GB .... or who knows if it was actually MB :D:D:D

* Noel

• noeld (4/29/2010)

Lynn Pettis (4/29/2010)

Forget it ... we know the answer is that it is probably in GB .... or who knows if it was actually MB :D:D:D

I have to express great disappointment if that's true. I was looking forward to learning a bit about how one deals with absolutely flipping HUGE data sets.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (4/29/2010)

noeld (4/29/2010)

Lynn Pettis (4/29/2010)

I have to express great disappointment if that's true. I was looking forward to learning a bit about how one deals with absolutely flipping HUGE data sets.

800TB is mouth watering. It would be quite the learning opportunity.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/29/2010)

Indeed it would be. And he did spell out Terabyte.

Maybe the OP has been off watching the db restore? Wonder how long that would take...

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (4/29/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/29/2010)

Indeed it would be. And he did spell out Terabyte.

Maybe the OP has been off watching the db restore? Wonder how long that would take...

I digress a little more, but what if the drives were SSD? Restore would be lightening fast. Of course you might burn through a ton of disks if you have 100TB of tlogs a day.

Learn Extended Events

• I think too many comments have likely moved the OP off since I think this is a mistake.

However, 800TB sounds like sleepless nights, stress, and a huge PIA of a boss.

• Steve can you put out some numbers for perspective? SSC has a lot of users and traffic, compared to many of us small biz guys we usually deal with; my biggest db i ever play with is a gig in size or so; only two tables with more than 1M records; how big is SSC's database?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I have three LOB applications, the DB's are between 20 and 60 GB.

• Lowell (4/29/2010)

Steve can you put out some numbers for perspective? SSC has a lot of users and traffic, compared to many of us small biz guys we usually deal with; my biggest db i ever play with is a gig in size or so; only two tables with more than 1M records; how big is SSC's database?

The largest I have ever had was 5TB, with a table that had over 2.5 billion rows. The database was OLTP and a total monster to run efficiently. I can't fathom scaling that by a factor of over 100.

/* ----------------------------- */
    Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!

• I had one db that was 1.5 TB and very heavy on the transactions. We implemented a subsequent database that interfaced with it that quickly grew to over 500GB. The first was very poorly designed and was a real monster to administer.

Then I had another DB that grew from about 150GB to 300GB in about 1 yr. We had over 1 million users a day in there. A ton of transactions and a lot easier to manage.

Those are the largest that I recall working on.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply