BAck _up

• Hi all

As i am using the sql server -2005, and 2008, when i am restoring the database it is showing that " RESTORE HEADER ONLY" is terminating abnormally, is there any cause happen of installing the both 2008 as well as 2005..

Regards

sat

• can u post what command you're firing? Along with detailed error.

Pradeep Singh

• More information please. Where was the backup taken from and how was it taken? Where's the backup been restored to and what's the statement that you're running?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi All,

This was the query:

BACKUP DATABASE [ITAM] FILEGROUP = N'PRIMARY' TO DISK = N'C:\Documents and Settings\swdev.team\Desktop\bak\ITAMCompact_12Jun2009.bak' WITH NOFORMAT, NOINIT, NAME = N'ITAM-Full Filegroup Backup', SKIP, NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD, STATS = 10

GO

This was the error:

Msg 3266, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The backup data at the end of "C:\Documents and Settings\swdev.team\Desktop\bak\ITAMCompact_12Jun2009.bak" is incorrectly formatted. Backup sets on the media might be damaged and unusable. To determine the backup sets on the media, use RESTORE HEADERONLY. To determine the usability of the backup sets, run RESTORE VERIFYONLY. If all of the backup sets are incomplete, reformat the media using BACKUP WITH FORMAT, which destroys all the backup sets.

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

• Try taking the backup to a new file, instead of backing in the same file.

you may find these links useful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290787

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic597271-357-1.aspx

Pradeep Singh

• Hello all,

I am oracle dba and now i have a sql server 2005 database i need to manage! I got pretty much all basic admin stuff figured out.

Can somone please put some backup script samples here. Basically this is want i intend to do:

1. backup full database every Friday night

2. Differential backups Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur

3. Transaction log backups once every afternoon

4. I want these backups have date/time stamps appended

5. Backup files older than 16 days should be deleted from file system

Please help!

Regards

Majid Khan

• majidkhanme (2/16/2010)

Hello all,

I am oracle dba and now i have a sql server 2005 database i need to manage! I got pretty much all basic admin stuff figured out.

Can somone please put some backup script samples here. Basically this is want i intend to do:

1. backup full database every Friday night

2. Differential backups Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur

3. Transaction log backups once every afternoon

4. I want these backups have date/time stamps appended

5. Backup files older than 16 days should be deleted from file system

Please help!

Regards

Majid Khan

It depends on the databases size and daily activity, If DB's are not big and activity is high i would recommend

Full back every night.

T log back up every hour.

Most of them suggest Full every week, Diff's Every night and T logs every hour, again how frequently you want to run t log depends on the amount of data you can afford to lose in case if you have to restore. Use maintenance plan to set up backup jobs and set the retention time to 16 days, i don't why you need 16 days of backup files.

Are you using any compression tool to for backups?

EnjoY!

EnjoY!
  • Thank you so very much for your quick reply!!

I am just collecting suggestions now and once i get my hands onto the database i will be supporting i will pose all these questions to the

data owners and then decide on one scheme. I like your suggestion. I have been playing with the Express version of SQL Server 2005 and doing

full, differential and t log backups using the studio manager. I have noticed one thing! everytime i do a new differential or t log backup SQL server just adds

it to the existing os file? Does this mean backup of full, differential and t log all will be in one file? If i want to have separate files for example one for full backup, one for differential and one for t log can i do that? if yes, how (by creating devices?)? Also 16 days is our standard for oracle databases backups to keep them online (disk) so

i was thinking perhaps they will ask me to follow the same convention for SQL Server as well. What is the risk of having all types of backups appending to one and only one file? If no risk then what is the benefit?

If i follow your recommendation (which is a good one by the way) i.e. Full backup every night and T log backup every hour and if i schedule

the retention of my backups say for 6 days, does that mean i will have one os backup file increasing in size for a database (this is the behavior i have noticed)?

In our scheme we have a backup job that does incremental backup every night so i am hoping our incremental backups to tapes will pick up the one beefed up

os backup file per database and back it up to tape right (because this file's timestamp will be changing) right? Also does SQL server deletes the existing backup file and creates a new one when it hits the configured retention threshold (say 16 days)?

I am not sure if we will be using any compression tool yet.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply