Azure SQL DB CLR

• Hi,

Azure SQL DB doesn't support CLR, if we have an application with CLR and assemblies, is there a workaround for it?

SQL Managed Instance is an expensive option and Migrating to VMs will have a lot of management overhead.

I would like to know if anyone has managed to migrate to SQL DB without rewriting the entire application.

Thankyou

• I think you might be in trouble here, but will be interested to hear what other people think.

Are you in the process of migrating to Azure and had not considered this?

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• We are still looking into options and have not decided one way or other.

From what I have seen so far, Azure SQL DB is less expensive and easier to manage, but not supporting CLR is an issue.

• Yes, that's a fair comment.

We've gone down a hybrid path, with most DBs migrated to Azure SQL DBs, but SQL Server VMs for those that are not supported or need a 'proper' SQL Server instance (also to fully support our historical investment in SSIS).

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• even on SQLMI there are restrictions for CLR stuff: 2024-10-09 11_18_38-Window

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply