avoid the failure alerts from decommisioned server

• please assist what steps i need to take.

One my old server had been decommissioned and we have new one for that.since there is a backup job in the old and new one but we are getting failure alerts.what si the reason how to handle this? please assist on this by any one.

• Do you have jobs running (in sql agent)?

Do you have 3rd party app like backup exec?

Maybe posting the full error message (excluding server name and logins) would help us pinpoint the alert sender!

• Maybe I'm a little slow, but remove the old server from your backup process. Unless there's something here you're not stating, that seems to be the answer.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I'm with you Grant, but if you don't know what's maintaining that server, then how do you stop it?

• right there with you too, bu what generated the error? Go there first. I don't know, there's got to be more to this question than first appears.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• there is no error to post .

just we are getting the mail alerts from old server which has been decommisioned but we have checked the job on the new server which is running fine.only the proble i am facing is getting the alerts from old server. please assisst on this.

• this implies that your backup process is managed somewhere else. Where is that? Remember, we're not there and can't see what you see. What service is sending out the email?

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• What does "decommission" mean? there is no feature in SQL Server to do this, so if you perhaps just removed or set the databases to offline, then you might be getting failure messages. Or if you have changed something else, you still may have jobs running on the old server, which would produce errors.

• There are no job in old server but we are getting the alerts from dbmail or sqlmail. please assist on this.

• narasimhareddy.dba (8/9/2011)

There are no job in old server but we are getting the alerts from dbmail or sqlmail. please assist on this.

There should be a "From Address" on the mail. Can you use this to identify the sending server?

Leo

Leo
    Nothing in life is ever so complicated that with a little work it can't be made more complicated.

• narasimhareddy.dba (8/9/2011)

There are no job in old server but we are getting the alerts from dbmail or sqlmail. please assist on this.

We're trying, but we're not there, so we can't see what you see. You have to try to give more information. How are your backups managed? Are they run from a central location or are they handled separately on each machine? Do you have some kind of monitoring in place that might be checking for failed backups? We don't know your set up, so without data, all we can do is guess.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant is correct, you aren't giving enough information. Is there monitoring on the new server for backups? If so, how does that work? Perhaps they are the same.

It doesn't have to be the old server that is sending alerts. Many people use a third server that connects to either the file system on a SQL Server instance, or the msdb tables and checks for backups. You'll have to look around your environment to understand how it is set up.

• yes, we are getting the alerts from server xyz like

<xyz>backup job failed from XYZ server.

please asist how to aviod those alerts from XYZ server.

• Sure, send me the vpn access info along with XXX$ in my paypal account and I'll get that sorted out for you.

In the mean time we don't see your servers and you're no answering our questions so we cannot help.

• narasimhareddy.dba (8/10/2011)

yes, we are getting the alerts from server xyz like

<xyz>backup job failed from XYZ server.

please asist how to aviod those alerts from XYZ server.

That message in no way requires that server XYZ is sending the message. Your coworker could send that message from Outlook if they had the account credentials.

Go spend some time tracking down how the alerts are setup for backup alerts. Or turn off server xyz and see if the alerts stop.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply