Automated deployments to production SQL Server instances. Do you allow this?

• Hi,

How many of you who are in a DBA role feel comfortable with or allow automated deployments of SQL code to your production SQL Server instances? Who generally does the SQL deployments in your production environment?

Thanks,

Andy

• I review the code and deploy it, or send it back for refactoring if it doesn't pass review.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• That is what I currently do now, review the code, deploy it or send it back if the code needs to be refactored. But now there are calls for having a build system deploy the sql code as part of a whole bunch of other related changes with one click of a button. This makes me very nervous as it will be easy for sql code to be deployed without proper review.

• If it's been through a proper QA and testing phase, and is part of an automated deployment process from properly configured and used source control, then it shouldn't actually need review and manual deployment to go from QA-pass to production.

Unfortunately, that's not the situation I currently have. We're working towards a more mature dev/test/QA/prod process, but aren't there yet.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• How automatic is automatic?

We have a tool which applies releases, but I get to press the button after QA and staging (pre-prod) testing, manager authorisation.

• GSquared (3/21/2012)

If it's been through a proper QA and testing phase, and is part of an automated deployment process from properly configured and used source control, then it shouldn't actually need review and manual deployment to go from QA-pass to production.

I agree... unfortunately in my situation several of those elements are missing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply