AS permissions?

• What are the ways to control user permissions on the Anaylsis Server side of things?

I know by right-clicking the AS instance, under properties you can specific security for server admins.

I ask because a user who is specified as a server admin is still not able to access some create/filter OLAP features (the "client" side of things is Tenrox, a time reporting application).

I assume this is a client issue rather than a database issue, but wanted to confirm that I am not ommiting something permissions-wise.

Thanks in advance.

• LS,

Try if the specified user can access the cube using Excel 2007 ? If so, your issue is a client issue, if not it's the setup of AS.

Cees

• It appears user can access cubes.

Anything permissions related as far as OLAP reporting in analysis services?

• ls,

No, the fact that the user has access via Excel means that the setup of permissions in Olap is correct. You probably have a permission issue in your OLAP client.

Cees

• Thanks.

Yes this was a client-side issue, needed to download Office 2003 web components on users end.

• On a small note here, have you understood the difference between setting up someone as a server admin through the server properties and setting up security through roles within the SSAS instance?

I know when I inherited my current environment, my predecessor had everyone in the company as an admin as he didn't understand how to set up roles within SSAS...

It would be rare that a client application would need to be an admin.

• You really should not be adding people as server admins who only need to be able to query the cubes!! That means the person can log into the AS and delete cubes, process cubes, remove permissions from other users, etc.

In AS, you can manage user permissions by creating roles in the individual databases, assigning the appropriate permissions to the roles, and adding users to the roles.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply