Are you using heartbeat in SQL 2008 R2 clusters

• With SQL 2008 is no more mandatory to use hearbeat, so do you still use hearbeat or trust with new quoram models to manage split brain

Prakash Heda
    Lead DBA Team - www.sqlfeatures.com
    Video sessions on Performance Tuning and SQL 2012 HA

• I've voted yes because the existing SQL Server 2008 R2 cluster in my current assignment is using dedicated heartbeat NICs.

However, If i were designing and deploying the Windows\SQL 2008 cluster i would not be using dedicated NICs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I've voted yes!!! I did only cluster models with heartbeat, but certainly I go build the new model suggested on virtual machine to tests before implementation.

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!
  • Very interesting, all votes for using heartbeat....

I have configured without hearbeat as new quoram model support with no issue...

Its a small issue in vmware mscs world as you need extra network resource, I came to know few days back. when vmware told me..and when I told them hearbeat is no more a requirement...that was a huge surprise for them....

Prakash Heda

• Quite agree, as I said I did not design\deploy the current cluster I work with, if I had I would not have used dedicated heartbeat NICs 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Prakash Heda (2/20/2012)

Very interesting, all votes for using heartbeat....

I've not configured without heartbeat, I had no time!!!, but I've question: If network crashes (as has been just one!), will crash cluster too??

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!
  • rfr.ferrari (2/24/2012)

Prakash Heda (2/20/2012)

Very interesting, all votes for using heartbeat....

I've not configured without heartbeat, I had no time!!!, but I've question: If network crashes (as has been just one!), will crash cluster too??

Depends on wich quoram model you choose...basically hearbeat was there to ensure connectivity between nodes, which now served by public nic

If network connectivity break between app and node1 than no failover will happen as node1 and node2 can talk to each other on public network

If network connectivity break between (app and node1) and (node1 [ex damage nic] cant connect to node2) than failover will happen and app will connect to node2

Prakash Heda

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply