Are you going to upgrade your SQL 2005 to SQL 2008?

• Here in our not-so-big SQL shop, most of our SQL instances are in SQL 2005. After the release of SQL 2008, we are pondering on upgrading. But the reality is that: our apps have no issue with current version. Though SQL2008 will offer more features, I don't anticipate any performance improvement with 2008 as we don't have any performance issue now and not in need of the new features( well, maybe there is but need to be discovered). So I am thinking to hold off the upgrade for now. But...I am sure we are going to move up in the future.

For SQL Server 2005, the lifecycle for MS suport dates are:

**Mainstream Support Retired: 4/12/2011

**Extended Support Retired: 4/12/2016

How do you read these dates? How do you relate these dates with your current setup?

How much longer are you planning on holding your current SQL 2005 instances?

I understand that this is probably another 'it depends' question. Just wanna know what kind of considerations people would to put in for this kind of decision.

T.I.A.

• Everything else being equal I would say you have no pressing need to upgrade now, EXCEPT

when SQL2008 R2 comes out in May there will be price increases of 15% for enterprise edition and 25% for standard, so unless you get your licenses before then you will be hit by the more expensive prices when you do upgrade (whether you use R2 or not)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Why not? Many new features to mention. There are lot of new feature in SQL 2008, few among them are inbuilt compression option, usage reports for CPU\Memory\Disk utilization inbuilt with data collection option, Replication is running very good, looks like memory leak issue is also fixed in SQL 2008, SQL 2005 had lot memory leak issues.

We are almost migrated all instances to SQL 2008.

EnjoY!

EnjoY!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply