Are We Dinosaurs?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Are We Dinosaurs?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Great article and great to read from you, Sir.

You know I used to make a joke that we changed the meaning of the acronym NoSQL from "No Structured Query Language" to "Not Only Structured Query Language" when we realized the shift wasn't that easy.

I heard of a bank in South African still using COBOL, where the techies, unwilling to touch the core code, built integrations around it. Imagine what an 80-year-old COBOL consultant might charge to help them transform that platform. 🙂

Autonomous databases came into my last employ with everyone getting excited and all DBAs getting worried about losing out on exciting performance tuning tasks but alas, it was not that simple.

While I do agree that we should not be complacent, I also agree that full adoption might take longer than we think across the industry. And maybe some bright ideas might be discarded or modified.

PS: Agile, SAFe, Disciplined Agile [let me not open that can of worms lol]

Br. Kenneth Igiri
    https://kennethigiri.com
    All nations come to my light, all kings to the brightness of my rising

• Great article and great to read from you, Sir.

You know I used to make a joke that we changed the meaning of the acronym NoSQL from "No Structured Query Language" to "Not Only Structured Query Language" when we realized the shift wasn't that easy.

I heard of a bank in South African still using COBOL, where the techies, unwilling to touch the core code, built integrations around it. Imagine what an 80-year-old COBOL consultant might charge to help them transform that platform. 🙂

Autonomous databases came into my last employ with everyone getting excited and all DBAs getting worried about losing out on exciting performance tuning tasks but alas, it was not that simple.

While I do agree that we should not be complacent, I also agree that full adoption might take longer than we think across the industry. And maybe some bright ideas might be discarded or modified.

PS: Agile, SAFe, Disciplined Agile [let me not open that can of worms lol]

Br. Kenneth Igiri
    https://kennethigiri.com
    All nations come to my light, all kings to the brightness of my rising

• Couldn't help but notice the succession of articles the past two days.  Yesterday, Steve wrote about the "Vast Expansions of Hardware" which took me down memory lane, and now you write about "Dinosaurs".  I, for one, see men (and women) like us who have lived the life of technology all these years as very WISE.  No doubt our work ethics were forged in a manner long forgotten.  Our years of experience culminate in WISDOM that cannot be packaged and transferred in bullet points or KT sessions.  Our ability to persevere through technical difficulties to solve problems makes us rare individuals.  Regardless of the fad and trends spewed out by the non-technical world regarding process, methodologies and synergy, we will always be sought out and envied for our wisdom and experience.  Instead of thinking of retirement, we should be planning for our most productive years ever - maybe with a little less work and more of life (to offset all the previous years for our workaholic behaviors).

• 💯 I've known this about myself for awhile and fortunately this, my last job before I retire, is all about cloud, azure, which I wanted to learn but not had the chance....although a couple of years in AWS along the way. We do have Mongo on the side but all the new, non relational stuff will be for some younger folk. In science and tech, everyone becomes a dino some day...even Einstein. BUT, there are things that are transcendent over time and space and culture...and these things remain relevant to the Human condition. I see my faith as one. So I'm a dino but also a human soul...and that's not and never will be, irrelevant 😊

• Grant, if 61 is old, I'm not sure what category I'm in.  Old Plus, maybe?

Just like you can still find apps built on Cobol and dBASE II, you will not in any of our lifetimes completely replace SQL and the relational database model.  It is solid, efficient, and in such widespread use that even something much more elegant or energy efficient will be around for the lifetime of the youngest among us.

People still use fax machines.

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply