Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Bob Hovious (2/4/2009)

I just have to blink and be the first to ask.

Is this thread dead?

[font="Verdana"]Dunno about the others, but I've been getting therapy.[/font]

• Bruce W Cassidy (2/4/2009)

Bob Hovious (2/4/2009)

Is this thread dead?

But I thought this was therapy, group therapy. :w00t:

• Lynn Pettis (2/4/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (2/4/2009)

Bob Hovious (2/4/2009)

Is this thread dead?

[font="Verdana"]Awww... you could have told me earlier. I didn't bring my electrical torture devices! :hehe:[/font]

• Bruce W Cassidy (2/4/2009)

Lynn Pettis (2/4/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (2/4/2009)

Bob Hovious (2/4/2009)

Is this thread dead?

[font="Verdana"]Awww... you could have told me earlier. I didn't bring my electrical torture devices! :hehe:[/font]

So that's what a whizbang fibre-optic laser beam (DIS)assembler is for.:w00t:

Derek

• POSTS!! Thank heavens, I was afraid I'd gone thread-blind. :w00t:

Either that or a threadinator was going around picking off the contributors, one by one.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (2/4/2009)

Either that or a threadinator was going around picking off the contributors, one by one.

If the threadinator does pick us off, does that mean we can come back as undead?

-- Kit

• Ah... Dawn of the dead.... We are all going to be stars in a slash and burn movie... Yea, I always wanted to be a star...

-Roy

• Just a note here that is sort of back on topic. I learned a lesson today that we benefit from being patient with others.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic649517-1472-1.aspx

This is a discussion of a recent article about calculating business days, a subject that has been well covered in the T-SQL forums. The author's solution involved a loop, and was immediately subjected to the type of constructive criticism this site excels in. The author grew defensive, because we were essentially telling him that his baby was ugly, and he had obviously taken a lot of time and care in writing the article. (It was well written and well illustrated, he just had never heard of tally tables.) Of course, several of us then started to argue with him over his defense. Things could have gotten ugly but....

Mr. Corbett joined in and took the time to thank the author for going to the trouble of writing and submitting an article, and several people joined in the chorus, which was a good thing in and of itself. In the meanwhile, a couple of us started conducting some experiments. In the course of this, I learned something I never knew about how inline table valued functions are handled with CROSS APPLY, and now there is a fast new technique in the toolbox. This wouldn't have happened if the thread had ended back when it was getting ugly, but thanks to the professional spirit of the community new knowledge was promulgated to the ignorant masses (me).

My respect for this forum and the people who participate in it continues to grow.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (2/5/2009)

Just a note here that is sort of back on topic. I learned a lesson today that we benefit from being patient with others.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic649517-1472-1.aspx

This is a discussion of a recent article about calculating business days, a subject that has been well covered in the T-SQL forums. The author's solution involved a loop, and was immediately subjected to the type of constructive criticism this site excels in. The author grew defensive, because we were essentially telling him that his baby was ugly, and he had obviously taken a lot of time and care in writing the article. (It was well written and well illustrated, he just had never heard of tally tables.) Of course, several of us then started to argue with him over his defense. Things could have gotten ugly but....

Mr. Corbett joined in and took the time to thank the author for going to the trouble of writing and submitting an article, and several people joined in the chorus, which was a good thing in and of itself. In the meanwhile, a couple of us started conducting some experiments. In the course of this, I learned something I never knew about how inline table valued functions are handled with CROSS APPLY, and now there is a fast new technique in the toolbox. This wouldn't have happened if the thread had ended back when it was getting ugly, but thanks to the professional spirit of the community new knowledge was promulgated to the ignorant masses (me).

My respect for this forum and the people who participate in it continues to grow.

It is your experience why you will see me continue to try and help people even when it seems pointless to continue. It is those times where the patience pays off with the OP, or others following the thread, suddenly "get it" and understand the solution to the problem or how the solution was developed.

And to use someone else's tagline, Thank you for your support.

• I'd like to say how refreshing the discussion on adding days was and I didn't feel that anyone was defensive in any way and nor should they be - whatever problem we can come up with you'll always get 100's of different ways to solve it - who's to say what the right answer is - Obviously it's mine 🙂

• It is your experience why you will see me continue to try and help people even when it seems pointless to continue. It is those times where the patience pays off with the OP, or others following the thread, suddenly "get it" and understand the solution to the problem or how the solution was developed.

Should we start a signup sheet for who's willing to learn a new language so we can avoid more bablefish problems? I'll take French!!!.

😀

(Not really a serious suggestion)

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (2/5/2009)

It is your experience why you will see me continue to try and help people even when it seems pointless to continue. It is those times where the patience pays off with the OP, or others following the thread, suddenly "get it" and understand the solution to the problem or how the solution was developed.

Should we start a signup sheet for who's willing to learn a new language so we can avoid more bablefish problems? I'll take French!!!.

😀

Hey, actually I have been threatening to learn Spanish, but my reasoning is so that I would know what some people are saying out on the pitch, but it is looking like it would be of benefit here as well.

• Ich wuerden mit Deutsch zufreiden sein, but I think there are some native German speakers here anyway.

Max

• Alvin Ramard (2/5/2009)

😀

Désolé, je m'en occupe déjà...

• I speak fluent Southern and have a working knowledge of English.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,171 through 1,185 (of 66,654 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply