Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (12/4/2009)

In general, I'd say that's a hint to blow the dust off the resume.

Unfortunately I agree with Grant here. It's never a good sign when all the leadership bails at once. On a selfish note, I hope you can still make it to speak at the Orlando User Group next Tuesday.:crazy:

• I hope it is not bad. Maybe the next bunch that takes over the helm will be way better than this bunch. Now is the time when you should not believe everything you hear. Rumor mill will be very active. Everyone will bring their conspiracy theory out..

-Roy

Hey Grant, sorry I missed your recent trip over here - would have been a good opportunity to get some books autographed...

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• GSquared (12/4/2009)

I found out late yesterday that the CEO, the President, the Chairman, and the CFO, of the company I work for, all resigned late Wednesday, without prior notice, and without any reason or explanation given.

I'm still not sure whether this is bad news or good news.

On the potentially bad news side, most of the excutive structure just up and quit, and didn't even bother to say goodbye. That sounds bad. Makes me wonder what they know that nobody else in the building does.

On the potentially good news side, these guys have been essentially invisible as execs the whole time I've been here. They held a company-wide meeting in August about the importance of communication and about their determination to make the company into something amazing. Never heard from them before or since (so much for communication), and now they're gone without even saying why (so much for determination).

As I mentioned to one co-worker, "this would really shake my faith in this company, if I had any".

It's unlikely but not unknown for an employee to lose more than their job when a company goes t1ts-up - but it's surprisingly demoralising working for a company when you don't have a clue whether or not your desk will still be there the next day.

Time to move on.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• GSquared (12/4/2009)

I found out late yesterday that the CEO, the President, the Chairman, and the CFO, of the company I work for, all resigned late Wednesday, without prior notice, and without any reason or explanation given.

On the potentially bad news side, most of the excutive structure just up and quit, and didn't even bother to say goodbye. That sounds bad. Makes me wonder what they know that nobody else in the building does.

On the potentially good news side, these guys have been essentially invisible as execs the whole time I've been here. They held a company-wide meeting in August about the importance of communication and about their determination to make the company into something amazing. Never heard from them before or since (so much for communication), and now they're gone without even saying why (so much for determination).

As I mentioned to one co-worker, "this would really shake my faith in this company, if I had any".

Wow... deja-vu... sounds like the company I worked for more than 20 years ago. On the bright side, the company survives and is actually doing ok. On the not so bright side, at the time stuff like that started happening, they laid off almost 2000 of the 3500 people they had on payroll. That was back in 1984-86. Sometimes you have to clean the basement and sometimes it's better to just move. Hard to tell what your execs have chosen or if they simply got fired and no one is talking about it.

I also agree with Roy...

Now is the time when you should not believe everything you hear. Rumor mill will be very active. Everyone will bring their conspiracy theory out..

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

GSquared (12/4/2009)

If it had any dust on it ...

I've already contacted three different recruiters. They all say the real action will be January through March, which matches my analysis of the job market here.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Jack Corbett (12/4/2009)

Grant Fritchey (12/4/2009)

Unfortunately I agree with Grant here. It's never a good sign when all the leadership bails at once. On a selfish note, I hope you can still make it to speak at the Orlando User Group next Tuesday.:crazy:

Don't know yet on that. I'd work on arranging a backup plan, if you haven't already. I think I'll be able to be there, but it'll depend on how Monday and Tuesday go.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Smells like sinking ship to me. Definitely fix up resume. Even it's not needed, good thing to do.

Reminds me of 1st place I worked. For 2 months upper management were having lots of closed-door meetings, rushing around, etc. 3rd month they retrenched 27% of the staff.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Roy Ernest (12/4/2009)

I hope it is not bad. Maybe the next bunch that takes over the helm will be way better than this bunch. Now is the time when you should not believe everything you hear. Rumor mill will be very active. Everyone will bring their conspiracy theory out..

Rumor mill's so active it's overloaded. A company meeting late yesterday helped kill a few threads, but not even close to everything.

Also just found out, on official lines, that the people who resigned are still majority shareholders in the company, and can't pull out from that because of SEC regulations. So they left, but they didn't take their money with them. That resolves a whole swath of rumors all by itself.

Property of The Thread

• Chris Morris-439714 (12/4/2009)

It's unlikely but not unknown for an employee to lose more than their job when a company goes t1ts-up - but it's surprisingly demoralising working for a company when you don't have a clue whether or not your desk will still be there the next day.

Time to move on.

Not sure what I'd lose other than the job. I have a few personal items at my desk, but nothing irreplaceable. I don't even have a 401(k) at this point, because I've been putting that money into clearing out debts instead. (Paying off credit cards that charge 29% makes more sense than investing in a 401(k) that may or may not pay 8 or 9%.)

Property of The Thread

• GilaMonster (12/4/2009)

Smells like sinking ship to me. Definitely fix up resume. Even it's not needed, good thing to do.

Reminds me of 1st place I worked. For 2 months upper management were having lots of closed-door meetings, rushing around, etc. 3rd month they retrenched 27% of the staff.

First company I was a DBA for (far from my first job), one Friday the owners came around and told all the employees to clean out their desks, and said they'd call us if we needed to show up on Monday.

On Saturday, my last paycheck from them (from the prior Friday) was pulled back out of my bank account. (Was finally recompensed on that 4 months later.)

So, yeah, been-there-done-that, not interested in repeating the experience.

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (12/4/2009)

Jack Corbett (12/4/2009)

Grant Fritchey (12/4/2009)

Don't know yet on that. I'd work on arranging a backup plan, if you haven't already. I think I'll be able to be there, but it'll depend on how Monday and Tuesday go.

Oh, working on a backup plan, probably me or a panel discussion on the benefits of attending the PASS Summit as myself, Andy Warren, and Kendal Van Dyke all went to the Summit and should be there on Tuesday. Just want to know so I can send out an email with the change in speakers/subject. I know at least one person who is coming from a couple hours away because you are the scheduled speaker.

Check your email especially if you are looking for working and willing to work in the Orlando area. I was contacted this week about a Sr. DBA position.

• Brent Ozar was asking on Twitter about anyone in or willing to relocate to the San Fran area looking for a Senior SQL DBA position. Scaling and management experience required.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (12/4/2009)

Brent Ozar was asking on Twitter about anyone in or willing to relocate to the San Fran area looking for a Senior SQL DBA position. Scaling and management experience required.

Definitely not looking to move back to California at this time. Not with what their economy is doing. But appreciate the heads-up on it.

Property of The Thread

• Gus - definitely not looking good. Like you said, might be good or bad news. Agree with all others to start looking.

Best of luck!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 9,616 through 9,630 (of 66,681 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply