Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jack Corbett (11/9/2009)

Alvin Ramard (11/9/2009)

Changing subject .....

I was wondering if anyone is aware of anything worthwhile that resulted from the Chapter Leader's "get-together" at the PASS Summit.

nothing earth shattering and whatever was said could change since Greg Low is off the board and the next board member to have chapters could change it.

You can check out my blog for a few details.

Thanks UncleBi...., oops, I mean Jack. I'm behind on my blog reading. I'll check your blog.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin,

You can refer to me as unclebiguns, I don't mind :-D. I would have provided more in the prior post, but I was on my iPod at the time so I didn't want to type too much.

• Jack Corbett (11/9/2009)

Alvin,

You can refer to me as unclebiguns, I don't mind :-D. I would have provided more in the prior post, but I was on my iPod at the time so I didn't want to type too much.

I was just trying to be funny. I've read that part of your blog and I've sent a copy of what you wrote to my partner in crime, oops, I meant the other leader of our PASS chapter.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Yeah, I know you were trying to be funny. I actually almost used unclebiguns here on SSC when I signed up, but decided I wanted to be more professional and use my name so it could be searched.

Thanks for passing it along to the other group leader. I'd definitely recommend contacting the board if you have any ideas as to what they should/could do to help you out. Also contact your Regional Mentor. I think it is Andy Leonard just like it is for me in Florida.

• Asked on Ask SCC:

I'm using Visual Studio 2005 with SQL Server 2005 Express to do a small office system for my sister's business.

When I try to connect the DATAGRIDVIEW to the database, I get the following error message Box:

This server version is not supported. You must have Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Beta 2 or later.

How do I get by this?

It boggles the mind, eh!!!

I see this as trying to drive a car for the first time. The person heads down the driveway; picking up speed as they go. Then at the end of the driveway the person asks: "How do I stop?"

:w00t:

Why are so many people jumping into something without first trying to learn what to do?????

Alvin Ramard

• nice analogy Alvin.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Alvin, it's not necessarily people jumping into something, maybe they are being pushed into the deep end? I remember a few years ago I was put onto a project where the DB platform was Oracle (7 if I remember correctly). I was fairly fluent in T-SQl at that time, but Oracle's syntax sometimes left me wondering, so at one stage I asked a question on the Oracle forums. Man, I was flamed for not first reading 15 books and go on at least 13 certification courses :w00t:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• I understand what you're saying Jan, but I still think there are too many cases where the person thinks: "I'll figure it out as I go" due to laziness instead of being pressed for time. Then when they hit a road bloack, they jump to the forum instead of trying to figure it out themselves. I've worked with such people. I wish I had a dollar for each time I heard "Alvin, how do I ........". I don't mind helping people, as long I see they're willing to put in the effort to help themselves.

When an OP asks a question that we can easily answer by doing a web search, using their own words, that's an example of laziness, not being pressed for time.

I apologize to anyone who really tries to find answers on their own if they were in any way offended by my comments. They're not the people I was talking about.

... What's this thread about anyway??? We're going around in circles...

🙂 :hehe: 😀 :hehe: 😛 :hehe: 😉 :hehe: :w00t: :hehe: 😎 :hehe:

Sorry everyone but I just had to vent.

Alvin Ramard

• Home, finally! Two cats are not letting me out of their sight.

Still got to configure ADSL and redo the entire wireless network. That'll teach me to change ISP while out of the country. Will try and get all the PASS photos up (including the kilt photos) later this week. Right now crashed out in front of xbox.

No martial arts was done at PASS. I was too busy and Steve forgot his gi.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • kilt or gi, had to pick 😀

Actually there's too much happening during the conference. Need to come a day early if I want to train up there.

• Glad you made it home safely to the Land of No Bandwidth, Gail.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious 24601 (11/10/2009)

Glad you made it home safely to the Land of No Bandwidth, Gail.

I'm glad that Gail is back today. She seems to be spending her day today correcting my answers.:-P

• Jack Corbett (11/10/2009)

She seems to be spending her day today correcting my answers.:-P

Sorry. Will be leaving now. (cause battery's low and ADSL still needs configuring. maybe a Hammer will help......)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/10/2009)

Home, finally! Two cats are not letting me out of their sight.

Still got to configure ADSL and redo the entire wireless network. That'll teach me to change ISP while out of the country. Will try and get all the PASS photos up (including the kilt photos) later this week. Right now crashed out in front of xbox.

No martial arts was done at PASS. I was too busy and Steve forgot his gi.

Great to see you. I'm glad you got home OK. Your trip is just SO long.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• GilaMonster (11/10/2009)

Jack Corbett (11/10/2009)

She seems to be spending her day today correcting my answers.:-P

Sorry. Will be leaving now. (cause battery's low and ADSL still needs configuring. maybe a Hammer will help......)

Of course a hammer will help. Hammers will fix or replace anything.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 15 posts - 9,151 through 9,165 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply