Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Florian Reischl (11/7/2009)

Hi Joe

PS: You can keep registered to "The Thread" but when you don't want to get email till the end of days you should unsubscribe this thread. It will never die :hehe:

... It will never die!!!

... well, as long as the number of posts does not exceed the largest number the database can hold. We're safe for a while yet!!!

😀

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (11/7/2009)

Florian Reischl (11/7/2009)

Hi Joe

PS: You can keep registered to "The Thread" but when you don't want to get email till the end of days you should unsubscribe this thread. It will never die :hehe:

... It will never die!!!

... well, as long as the number of posts does not exceed the largest number the database can hold. We're safe for a while yet!!!

😀

😀 😀

AFAIK the posts sequence per thread is currently stored as INT (Steve wrote that anywhere in woods and valleys of The Thread). The day will come when the have to change this to BIGINT. After this they only have BINARY :hehe:

• Flo, how big a number can we store in a filestream?

:w00t:

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Simple answer: 8

Filestream is not restricted to 2GB and you can join your disks together to support the "The Thread" post-sequence. You just need a new stripe set for each new post. 😛

• SQL Server definitely has some advantages and it has been quite awhile since I used it last (circa 2003) so it would do me well to learn a bit about it by using it on a project.

On a side note, this seems like a heck of a community. Thanks for the heads up about the thread subscription, I must admit I was a bit bewildered by the combination of the thread title and the current page numbers 🙂

Seems like a pretty healthy community of the sort any project would be lucky to have.

Florian Reischl (11/7/2009)

Hi Joe

Your blog showed me some thins I really have to try in my PostgreSQL investigations! Apparently there are some things where SQL Server seems to be better, on the other hand there are features available which are better in PostgreSQL (e.g. the row constructor "INSERT INTO xyz (c1) VALES (1),(2),(3)" is way faster than in SQL Server).

Thanks for your feedback

Flo

• Jack Corbett (11/7/2009)

Grant Fritchey (11/6/2009)

And yeah, I'm taking a sip from the NDA firehose. The water tastes flipping GREAT! I strongly recommend it. This is some slick stuff.

Great, and just how do I get to the recommended stiff. Some of us don't make the cool kids club like you:-D

Awesome to meet you this past week. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Making plans for 6-8 weeks in New England next summer and hoping to be able to schedule a talk at your user group. No promises, but it is on my to-do list.

Sweet. You have a standing invitation. Let me know in advance so we can work it on the schdule (not that we're terribly busy). Any time, at all, you're invited.

It was great to meet you as well. The Summit just gets better every year.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Grant Fritchey (11/6/2009)

And yeah, I'm taking a sip from the NDA firehose. The water tastes flipping GREAT! I strongly recommend it. This is some slick stuff.

Great, and just how do I get to the recommended stiff. Some of us don't make the cool kids club like you:-D

Awesome to meet you this past week. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Making plans for 6-8 weeks in New England next summer and hoping to be able to schedule a talk at your user group. No promises, but it is on my to-do list.

As far as the cool kids club, I snuck in the back door and I'm trying to be quiet lest anyone notice (not doing a good job there though).

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (11/7/2009)

As far as the cool kids club, I snuck in the back door and I'm trying to be quiet lest anyone notice (not doing a good job there though).

Keep wearing skirts and they might transfer you to another club.

• Heading home, finally. Wow, I'm tired after this week.

Offline til tuesday (flights, sleep, installing new ADSL equipment)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Hey, I resemble that remark

• Safe travels, great seeing you.

• GilaMonster (11/8/2009)

Heading home, finally. Wow, I'm tired after this week.

Offline til tuesday (flights, sleep, installing new ADSL equipment)

Absolutely wonderful to see you again. Safe travel.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Grant Fritchey (11/7/2009)

Heh...nah... I was going to say something but it wouldn't be appropriate...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (11/8/2009)

Jack Corbett (11/7/2009)

Grant Fritchey (11/7/2009)

Heh...nah... I was going to say something but it wouldn't be appropriate...

I doubt it would be worse than the crap people were saying to my face.

Best thing was showing up late to Buck Woody's session, in a kilt. I sat up front... Sharon Stone was mentioned... 'nough said.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Did someone try to have couple friendly bouts of martial arts? If so who kicked whose A**?? 😀

-Roy

Viewing 15 posts - 9,106 through 9,120 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply