Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Some of us aren't in NDA sessions. Actually there are five or six post-con all day sessions for us worker ants who are gluttons for punishment. I'm part of the group listening to Itzik Ben-Gan talk about tuning . My brain is so full it hurts and I forgot to bring a spare.

Additional comments:

I neglected to mention the SSC event Monday night. Steve, y'all put on a fine party and I will treasure my SSC shirt.

Gail tells me that neither Grant nor Steve had the best legs in a kilt on Wednesday. I offer no opinion as I averted my eyes to avoid going blind.

I had a great evening last night shooting the breeze about all manner of subjects with Jack. I am seriously considering referring to him as "Unc" hereafter. A friendlier, more outgoing guy would be hard to imagine. He seems to know EVERYBODY.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious 24601 (11/6/2009)

Some of us aren't in NDA sessions. Actually there are five or six post-con all day sessions for us worker ants who are gluttons for punishment. I'm part of the group listening to Itzik Ben-Gan talk about tuning . My brain is so full it hurts and I forgot to bring a spare.

Additional comments:

I neglected to mention the SSC event Monday night. Steve, y'all put on a fine party and I will treasure my SSC shirt.

Gail tells me that neither Grant nor Steve had the best legs in a kilt on Wednesday. I offer no opinion as I averted my eyes to avoid going blind.

I had a great evening last night shooting the breeze about all manner of subjects with Jack. I am seriously considering referring to him as "Unc" hereafter. A friendlier, more outgoing guy would be hard to imagine. He seems to know EVERYBODY.

Are you wearing your colander, to reduce the rate of the knowledge evaporation?

🙂

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

I'm part of the group listening to Itzik Ben-Gan talk about tuning

Sitting in post-con on unstructured and semi-structured data. Currently discussing full-text search. Not overly interested in the Insider lineup this afternoon.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Sitting in hotel room mildly exhausted and hoping that the swelling in my brain will subside. Trying to work up energy for coherent thought beyond "food".

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Just downloaded the SQL MVP Deep Dive book. Now for some light reading over the weekend.

Woot :w00t:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Just downloaded the SQL MVP Deep Dive book.

I've already gone through a couple of chapters in the MVP Deep Dive, Jason. Good stuff in there.

Alvin, the colander starting sparking like it was in the microwave. 😛 I was asked to leave it back at the hotel because the noise and smell were interrupting the presentations. I came back to find it melted down to a puddle of slag... or wait... that may be my brain.

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/6/2009)

Luke L (11/6/2009)

jcrawf02 (11/6/2009)

So then we've finally found a definitive benefit of RBAR - environment control

Jeff's gonna be pissed...

Though I suppose if you get it to raise the temps enough you could grill some nice pork chops on the outside of the case :w00t:

Sweet mother of pearl, those are some nice grill marks on the Pork Chops Batman.

FPC = MBone*AMeat

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Just downloaded the SQL MVP Deep Dive book.

I've already gone through a couple of chapters in the MVP Deep Dive, Jason. Good stuff in there.

Alvin, the colander starting sparking like it was in the microwave. 😛 I was asked to leave it back at the hotel because the noise and smell were interrupting the presentations. I came back to find it melted down to a puddle of slag... or wait... that may be my brain.

Boy, I know how you feel. I'm a total vegetable at this point in time. But... I'm jazzed up with all new data that I can take back and put to work at my company. This is going to be another great year. Can't wait for PASS Summit 2010.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/6/2009)

Now for some light reading over the weekend.

Light reading it ain't. I have 2 copies in my luggage, must weigh a couple kg in total.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Light reading it ain't....?? I'm just now up to the chapter where the nefarious help desk manager has trapped the naive and innocent young DBA in the server room after hours, and slowly approaches ...

step by step...

inch by inch....

Wait a minute... this isn't MVP Deep Dives ... I remember packing that away already. :w00t:

• FPC = MBone*AMeat

Moden's Law?

• Bob, your posts always make me laugh!

• Paul,

Are you talking about my jokes, or my serious attempts to offer solutions? Or both? 😀

• Lynn Pettis (11/3/2009)

Okay, I bit the bullet and I am now on twitter, @LynnPettis. So, who else is out there?

I'm out there (@unclebiguns).

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/4/2009)

Is it going to be a tradition at PASS now (kilt wednesday)?

It has been proposed for next year with a few other people on board.

Viewing 15 posts - 9,076 through 9,090 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply