Are the posted questions getting worse?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

And who is looking forward to (or looking at) a Solar Eclipse come April 8th?

missed it. Was coaching in Salt Lake when it went by.

Did see the one in Wyoming years ago with my middle kid. Was a fun adventure driving up.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

missed it. Was coaching in Salt Lake when it went by.

Did see the one in Wyoming years ago with my middle kid. Was a fun adventure driving up.

Planned a weekend trip with the grandkids. Got a room in a cool hotel in Skaneateles NY.  Booked a walleye fishing trip in the morning on Skaneateles Lake.  Ate lunch.  Headed to the spot to watch it, The clouds rolled in.

We saw absolutely nothing but clouds.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Drove three hours to see it in the totality zone. Forecast was for partly cloudy, but only in the area where we drove to. Everywhere else that we could get to was forecast to be cloudy. Clouds rolled in. It was horrible. We thought we were going to miss it. Just as it started to go to complete eclipse, the clouds parted and we had perfect viewing for the full four minutes. The gods smiled on us.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Where I live was in the 98-99% band, worked from home yesterday so it was easy enough to take a "break" and go out in the yard to watch.

The change in the lighting was weird, almost twilight but the sun still high in the sky and the shadows indicating that.

• For me, this was a one shot a few years ago in mid Wyoming:

2024-04-09 13_04_50-Video - Google Photos

This was 15 minutes later.

2024-04-09 12_52_01-Photo - Google Photos

Wild to go from bright afternoon to late twilight and lose 15 degrees in a few minutes. Then have it all come back

• 504 error... posted anyway

• These were my 2 favorite photos from totality at Mosquito Creek Lake in Ohio2024-04-08_15-17-29_IMG_4406

2024-04-08_15-16-33_IMG_4396

• Big shop or small shop?

I was just reflecting this morning that the employer I currently work for has both. One small unit that has its own collection of  DBAs, about 3. I used to work for that. Now I work for the corporate division which has about 12-15 SQL DBAs (and lots of others for other RDBMs) and supports lots and lots of other units.

I enjoyed being the Jack-of-All-Trades DBA at the smaller unit until Things Happened and I was the only DBA for several months shouldering the load. But I kind of miss it.

My current job is running around being more reactive then proactive with certain things and having my time divided by lots of meetings and then being fought over by different AoRs. But the plus is that I can take time off mostly when I need to and get other people to take over work for me when I hit capacity.

I'm not sure which one I like more. So, I'm curious about the rest of you.

Big shop or small shop?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• It Depends™

Not doing DBA stuff, data analysis and reporting, but small team, with clearly defined area of responsibility, within a larger shop.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Shop size doesn't matter to me.  What matters is the attitudes of management on both the Dev and Database sides of the house and the attitudes of the folks on the DBA team.  I do find that larger shops have the problem of falling into the DILLIGAF mode on both the Dev and Database sides and I hate that.  They forget that if you want it real bad that that's the way you'll normally get things and I flat refuse to succumb to ship it and fix it later BS methodologies where "good enough" usually isn't.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Dear Steve Jones...

I forget how long it's been since this site was moved to WordPress but it's been a long time.  Those of us long-timers that are left (not many of us left) have been really patient and true to the cause.  There's a whole lot of functionality that has been broken or wanting since the day of the move.

Can we PLEASE get the folks at Redgate to fix all the issues with these forums and make some suggested improvements that might bring back some of the heavy hitters and other former long-timers? PLEASE?  I'll be happy to field test and can also supply some of the possible causes of issues.  I'm sure others on this thread would be willing to pitch in, as well.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Dear Steve Jones...

I forget how long it's been since this site was moved to WordPress but it's been a long time.  Those of us long-timers that are left (not many of us left) have been really patient and true to the cause.  There's a whole lot of functionality that has been broken or wanting since the day of the move.

Can we PLEASE get the folks at Redgate to fix all the issues with these forums and make some suggested improvements that might bring back some of the heavy hitters and other former long-timers? PLEASE?  I'll be happy to field test and can also supply some of the possible causes of issues.  I'm sure others on this thread would be willing to pitch in, as well.

just about each time I post I get error and if you resubmit start getting dup posts, If I were a betting man I would say this forum is running as virtualised resource and not able to cope with the number of incoming requests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Just got the error now replying here

504 Gateway Time-out

The server didn't respond in time.

to get back on topic about the questions asked I agree, they’re getting worst all the time.

from my experience over last few years companies are passing database management to cloud teams most of which know nothing about relational dbs

i even saw one infrastructure engineer grant contributor access in azure when a request came in for a user to access an azure sql db, I then received the ticket as access was failing for obvious reasons, this (and more of it) is what I’m seeing.

An org I know of has completely removed the DBA role/team, everyone is a cloud engineer with set disciplines.

what it’s doing is bringing people with no experience on sql server to a forum expecting a quick answer and not supplying detailed info

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle wrote:

Just got the error now replying here

504 Gateway Time-out The server didn't respond in time.

I get this error an estimated 90% of the time. I know now to simply hit 'back' in the browser and refresh the page – as far as I remember, my post has always been successfully posted when doing this. Horrible user experience, however.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

Viewing 15 posts - 66,541 through 66,555 (of 66,671 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply