Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Welp, it seems worthwhile mentioning reputation points in an online forum, i.e. Stack Overflow, are a good way to enhance your resume.

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Steve Collins wrote:

Welp, it seems worthwhile mentioning reputation points in an online forum, i.e. Stack Overflow, are a good way to enhance your resume.

The tone of this response has changed significantly since the notification email I got, with its contents. I was going to remind you that sites like this have "points" too. 😉

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

The tone of this response has changed significantly since the notification email I got, with its contents. I was going to remind you that sites like this have "points" too. 😉

Perhaps it's endemic.  To the obvious "what about it?" in response to a rant that like I have no answer.   A conclusive case could be made from the data but it would take an effort and it makes me sleepy just thinking about what a waste of time it would be.  Because who really cares nobody.

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Steve Collins wrote:

Welp, it seems worthwhile mentioning reputation points in an online forum, i.e. Stack Overflow, are a good way to enhance your resume.

They're also a good way to show you spend a lot of time browsing stack over flow instead of working 😛

• This is me posting something stupid because it's been a long week, I need to do something incredibly stupid, but also not get bad attention over my need to rant. Soooo...

SOMETHING STUPID!!!!!! CARTWHEELS! COTTON CANDY! GUMMY BEARS! I'M THROWING TRASH IN THE RECYCLE BIN (not really)!

I watched What If... ? last night. DEAL WITH IT!

Oh, I feel much better now. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• FYI: Allstate has a remote-work-from-home mid-level DBA contract to possible FTE hire position available through Ranstad. I don't have the job description or a link to the job available unfortunately. It's a jack-of-all-trades kind of position.

If anyone is interested, go to their job site and check it out.

Just an FYI: I have not seen the final job description so I can neither confirm nor deny the details of anything on their site. Nor am I allowed to give Randstad a personal recommendation for anyone. But please apply if you're interested and you think you're a good fit for the job.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• ZZartin wrote:

Steve Collins wrote:

They're also a good way to show you spend a lot of time browsing stack over flow instead of working 😛

My sentiments exactly.  That's the LAST place I'd look

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• skeleton567 wrote:

ZZartin wrote:

Steve Collins wrote:

Every once in a while, I go strolling on StackOverflow to see "What the state of the community at large is".  It's not good and it seems like it really is getting worse both from looking at the questions and looking at the comments and a whole lot of the answers.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• skeleton567 wrote:

ZZartin wrote:

Steve Collins wrote:

I actually think that people that don't participate in professional  forums such as SSC or stack over flow have less knowledge then people that do participate in such discussions.  I will always prefer someone that spends also time in participating in such discussions then someone that doesn't participate.  I do believe that going over questions and answers and helping other people does improve your knowledge and makes you a better DBA (or any other profession that you are working at).  In my case it also improves my English:-)

Adi

• Adi Cohn wrote:

I will always prefer someone that spends also time in participating in such discussions then someone that doesn't participate.

You mean like virtually everyone on StackOverflow where such discussions are seriously discouraged even in the form of answers? 😉

How about the legions of people that write blog posts where comments are either disabled from the git or eventually disabled?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

How about the legions of people that write blog posts where comments are either disabled from the git or eventually disabled?

That is a bit of an unfair metric. There are plenty of people who have to disable comments at some point because they are being harassed or someone is using the comments section for spam. I myself had to finally give up on allowing un-mediated comments because I kept getting spammed with Russian non-sense and ads for thing.

Some people just need the peace of mind to be able to blog about their passions without being trolled over it or spending their entire life going through the comments to remove the trash.

• Yep... I understand that such things can be an issue and are exceptions.  The issue  is that a lot of these people publish things that absolutely incorrect and allow for no recourse on the blog.  They've eliminated all possible discussion and learning.  Ironically, it limits their learning the most.

So, I'll have to say that my opinion differs from yours.  For me, it's usually NOT an unfair metric.  One of the best ways to determine that is if you can reach the author at all.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Adi Cohn wrote:

I will always prefer someone that spends also time in participating in such discussions then someone that doesn't participate.

You mean like virtually everyone on StackOverflow where such discussions are seriously discouraged even in the form of answers? 😉

I also mean everyone on StackOverFlow.  I don't need to go over all the things that someone wrote.  I can go over few answers that they wrote and evaluate their level.  If someone writes a blog but doesn't let us comment on it, I will not hold it against him.  I will simply look at the blog and evaluate his level.   As I said before I would prefer someone that participate in discussions, but of course this is not the only thing that I would check.  Generally speaking most of the people that participate in discussion and read blogs will have more knowledge then people that don't do it, so for me it gives them extra points.

Adi

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 15 posts - 65,611 through 65,625 (of 66,671 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply