Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Have any of you good folks used the "Automatic Tuning" feature of SQL Server 2016 for on-prem?  If so, how'd it work out for you?

I ask because I have this nasty vision of it automatically creating and dropping huge numbers of possibly unwanted indexes on huge, highly active tables using the same frequently very poor "logic" that shows up in "missing indexes" at just the wrong times on a very busy system along with the fact that Query Store will be running, which also scares the bejeezus out of me for resource usage (and I wouldn't mind some experienced discussion there either).  A good part of my fears are based on all the super-positive hype available online that smells a bit like Purple Kool-Aid coming from an all-too shiny bottle with an MS label on it. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Have any of you good folks used the "Automatic Tuning" feature of SQL Server 2016 for on-prem?  If so, how'd it work out for you?

I ask because I have this nasty vision of it automatically creating and dropping huge numbers of possibly unwanted indexes on huge, highly active tables using the same frequently very poor "logic" that shows up in "missing indexes" at just the wrong times on a very busy system along with the fact that Query Store will be running, which also scares the bejeezus out of me for resource usage (and I wouldn't mind some experienced discussion there either).  A good part of my fears are based on all the super-positive hype available online that smells a bit like Purple Kool-Aid coming from an all-too shiny bottle with an MS label on it. 😀

Just for what it's worth, I have always been extremely skeptical of such features what purport to understand my database design better than I do.  I'm not perfect, but this is always a bit scary.

I have no problem with software that makes suggestions for improvement, but always want to have the final say before changes are made.  There may be some benefit for things resulting from lack of experience,  but caution is always due.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Speaking of Full Stack Dev job adverts, what does this one say to you?

Knowledge/Skills/Abilities/Experience

Full Stack .Net technical Team lead with C# and Angular

Team of 40 total with multiple teams of 7 developers with Onshore and Offshore

Experience in responsive web front end / single page application development using modular JavaScript including apps targeted for mobile devicesHands on experience on modern JavaScript tools such as Webpack, Babel, ESLint, Gulp, NPM, Bower, Browserify, Grunt and similar technologies

Experience in backend development design and implementation; database (relational, NoSQL, caching), messaging and big data development, implementation and optimization

5+ years of developing and implementing systems at scale

Strong understanding of computer science concepts, object-oriented design principle

Basic understanding of distributed systems, operating systems, networking, databases, security, and analytics

Experience developing software in different programming languages, and demonstrated ability to quickly learn new languages

Actual experience developing continuous integration, continuous delivery and continuous deployment pipelines for distributed apps (CI/CD

Knowledge and experience on approaches and tools for automated testing and monitoring

Experience in Test Driven Development; including knowledge and experience in testing frameworks like testcafe, junit, mockito, jasmine, protractor, cucumber, and other like technologies

Able to learn new technologies, and teach other members of the team/s

A college degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or similar field, including a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Speaking of Full Stack Dev job adverts, what does this one say to you?

Knowledge/Skills/Abilities/Experience Full Stack .Net technical Team lead with C# and Angular Team of 40 total with multiple teams of 7 developers with Onshore and Offshore Experience in responsive web front end / single page application development using modular JavaScript including apps targeted for mobile devicesHands on experience on modern JavaScript tools such as Webpack, Babel, ESLint, Gulp, NPM, Bower, Browserify, Grunt and similar technologies Experience in backend development design and implementation; database (relational, NoSQL, caching), messaging and big data development, implementation and optimization 5+ years of developing and implementing systems at scale Strong understanding of computer science concepts, object-oriented design principle Basic understanding of distributed systems, operating systems, networking, databases, security, and analytics Experience developing software in different programming languages, and demonstrated ability to quickly learn new languages Actual experience developing continuous integration, continuous delivery and continuous deployment pipelines for distributed apps (CI/CD Knowledge and experience on approaches and tools for automated testing and monitoring Experience in Test Driven Development; including knowledge and experience in testing frameworks like testcafe, junit, mockito, jasmine, protractor, cucumber, and other like technologies Able to learn new technologies, and teach other members of the team/s A college degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or similar field, including a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals

Pretty much s piece from a Russian folk tale:

Go there I don't know where, bring me that I don't know what.

• skeleton567 wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Have any of you good folks used the "Automatic Tuning" feature of SQL Server 2016 for on-prem?  If so, how'd it work out for you?

Just for what it's worth, I have always been extremely skeptical of such features what purport to understand my database design better than I do.  I'm not perfect, but this is always a bit scary.

I have no problem with software that makes suggestions for improvement, but always want to have the final say before changes are made.  There may be some benefit for things resulting from lack of experience,  but caution is always due.

I'm tickled that someone feels pretty much as I do on these things.  Thanks for the feedback, Rick.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

At more than passing ability in most of these areas, this says $150k a year.

Not sure what "at scale" means, or how important any of these areas are, relative to each other. No one will be great at all these areas, and "experience" might be very light in some.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I haven't done it on production. However, in testing and development, I do see some thrash on the indexes. It wasn't radical in testing, but it was evident. It suggests that some workloads might see pain. Hard to know beyond that based on my work with it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thanks for the feedback, Grant.  I am concerned.  While I wouldn't expect such a thing to be "radical" in a test and development environment, seeing "some" thrash and having be "evident" are all spooky words.  You've just gotta wonder what this is going to do on a prod system that has a few thousand indexes (yeah... I know... not me) on it.  I don't have huge stuff but I do have a far bit of non-clustered indexes that are each almost as large as some folks entire databases.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

At more than passing ability in most of these areas, this says $150k a year.

Not sure what "at scale" means, or how important any of these areas are, relative to each other. No one will be great at all these areas, and "experience" might be very light in some.

In western Pennsylvania, a senior "full stack" developer is starting at 175k +  per year.  There are a lot of forces driving certain technical salaries up in this area.  DBA's are not one of them, however!  One is robotics and AI. We have quite a few companies that are very well funded doing self-driving cars and a variety of commercial robotics. The second is that Google, Amazon, and a lot of other "big boys" are significantly increasing their technical presence.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, Grant.  I am concerned.  While I wouldn't expect such a thing to be "radical" in a test and development environment, seeing "some" thrash and having be "evident" are all spooky words.  You've just gotta wonder what this is going to do on a prod system that has a few thousand indexes (yeah... I know... not me) on it.  I don't have huge stuff but I do have a far bit of non-clustered indexes that are each almost as large as some folks entire databases.

The only hard assurance I can offer is, it never, ever, messes with unique indexes.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, Grant.  I am concerned.  While I wouldn't expect such a thing to be "radical" in a test and development environment, seeing "some" thrash and having be "evident" are all spooky words.  You've just gotta wonder what this is going to do on a prod system that has a few thousand indexes (yeah... I know... not me) on it.  I don't have huge stuff but I do have a far bit of non-clustered indexes that are each almost as large as some folks entire databases.

The only hard assurance I can offer is, it never, ever, messes with unique indexes.

BWAAAA-HAAAA!!!! I did a major SPOM on that one. 😀  My though was "Ok.. they blow stuff up using dynamite but are smart enough to know not to mess with nukes". 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

BWAAAA-HAAAA!!!! I did a major SPOM on that one. 😀  My though was "Ok.. they blow stuff up using dynamite but are smart enough to know not to mess with nukes". 😀

Ok, what am I missing?  I can't find anything that remotely resembles "automatic tuning" in SQL 2016. SQL 2017 added Automatic Plan Tuning, and Azure has the automated index analysis, but I see nothing in 2016

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Well, after a 3 year absence I decided to take another look at SSC........Nice to see a lot of the names I remember still posting.

Am no longer earning with SQL, but think I will get back into it to keep the problem-solving brain cells active 🙂

I am reviewing the posts on a PC ....is the site always so damn slow when refreshing for new content  (Forums>Active threads)...taking 10+ secs to refresh...........and why so much white space on listings?   Don't remember the site being so slow before...?

Anyways maybe will pop in now and again and start attempting to answer a few Qs.....

Am going to go download SQL Dev 2019 edition....any major changes since 2015 version?

Cheers

PS...how the hell did I get 51272 points and become a "Guru"....no way am I or ever was a "Guru" , some update to the forum must have screwed up !  ROFLMAO

• J Livingston SQL wrote:

Well, after a 3 year absence I decided to take another look at SSC........Nice to see a lot of the names I remember still posting.

Am no longer earning with SQL, but think I will get back into it to keep the problem-solving brain cells active 🙂

I am reviewing the posts on a PC ....is the site always so damn slow when refreshing for new content  (Forums>Active threads)...taking 10+ secs to refresh...........and why so much white space on listings?   Don't remember the site being so slow before...?

Anyways maybe will pop in now and again and start attempting to answer a few Qs..... Am going to go download SQL Dev 2019 edition....any major changes since 2015 version?

Cheers

PS...how the hell did I get 51272 points and become a "Guru"....no way am I or ever was a "Guru" , some update to the forum must have screwed up !  ROFLMAO

J:

Welcome back.    I think generally the website speed is pretty good.  But there are good and bad days.  Mine does vary a bit now and then, but nothing out of the ordinary compared to other sites the same day.  Could be a performance issue when discussions grow to hundreds of comments, such as this one with 65k comments >:)

Something I do notice lately is that in some of the emails from the discussions which include a link, the link does not always take me to the correct location, sometimes even to an entirely different discussion.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Michael L John wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Ok, what am I missing?  I can't find anything that remotely resembles "automatic tuning" in SQL 2016. SQL 2017 added Automatic Plan Tuning, and Azure has the automated index analysis, but I see nothing in 2016

No... You're not missing anything.  I'm thinking that I got confused by the way a post was worded (I didn't save the link either).  The post was talking about requirements for it and it talked about Query Store being enabled, which did come out in 2016.  Well, unless I got that wrong as well. 😀  Heh... apparently it's been a couple of tough weeks for me brain wise.  😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 65,596 through 65,610 (of 66,671 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply