Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I've gone back and forth. I think you need to decide if you're training or presenting. The more you are trying to actually teach a concept someone can use, the more you need to include details in the deck that helps the audience relearn this later. If you're presenting ideas and concepts to drive interest and inspiration, then the deck supplements what you say, and people need to see the presentation.

While it's nice to have recordings or something else, I also get that those items can deter some attendance from the event.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Alright, Threadzians. Who's responsible for this one? https://www.zdnet.com/article/faulty-database-script-brings-salesforce-to-its-knees/ Seriously. What were they thinking and why didn't they test this first?  

Cause the vast majority of people out there are running scripts for the very first time against their production servers. I've spent years, professionally railing against this stuff. But, I'm taking away people's toys by suggesting that scripts need to be tested prior to running in production, least permission, compliance, DevOps. People don't want to hear it. "We've always done it this way and nothing ever goes wrong." until BOOOOOMMMMM!!! and then they sit around going, weird, so strange, no one saw that coming... <hand goes up>

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Jeff Moden wrote:

You've been given a gift... when most folks write a presentation, they practice it at say 20 minutes but they've included so much good stuff that it will actually take 30 and they leave little time for questions.  You been given extra time to talk at a reasonable pace instead of being in a hurry (like me).

And that would KILL you if you presented here in Belgium. They won't ask questions. They won't respond to things like "Who here is actively processing oxygen?". It's bad. Better to fill your time and then say "THANK YOU CLEVELAND!" as you leave Antwerp.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Robert Sterbal wrote:

You've been given a gift... when most folks write a presentation, they practice it at say 20 minutes but they've included so much good stuff that it will actually take 30 and they leave little time for questions.  You been given extra time to talk at a reasonable pace instead of being in a hurry (like me).

Have you experimented with other models of delivering the content? I really appreciate when the slides are posted ahead of time and when a transcript is available for a talk. I also think that remote access and recordings of talks are generally a good idea to consider. Maybe have a blog post for each presentation? These are not recommendations, just suggestions. I've made them before, so if you have already considered them, feel free to not respond if you can link to your earlier response.  

Transcript? That would imply I say the same thing twice. Nope.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I've gone back and forth. I think you need to decide if you're training or presenting. The more you are trying to actually teach a concept someone can use, the more you need to include details in the deck that helps the audience relearn this later. If you're presenting ideas and concepts to drive interest and inspiration, then the deck supplements what you say, and people need to see the presentation. While it's nice to have recordings or something else, I also get that those items can deter some attendance from the event.

That is a very interesting and good point. What's interesting about this is the way they teach this in MBA courses, which is "make it sparse but effective".

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Alright, Threadzians. Who's responsible for this one? https://www.zdnet.com/article/faulty-database-script-brings-salesforce-to-its-knees/ Seriously. What were they thinking and why didn't they test this first?  

Cause the vast majority of people out there are running scripts for the very first time against their production servers. I've spent years, professionally railing against this stuff. But, I'm taking away people's toys by suggesting that scripts need to be tested prior to running in production, least permission, compliance, DevOps. People don't want to hear it. "We've always done it this way and nothing ever goes wrong." until BOOOOOMMMMM!!! and then they sit around going, weird, so strange, no one saw that coming... <hand goes up>

Well - considering that SF is one of those organizations that decided that traditional databases don't really cut it, and decided to roll their own DB technology (Pardot and all SF data is basically within a GIANT EAV model consisting of 4 tables in a highly tortured Oracle instance.), I hope they have better support of the AC and D aspects, since they clearly forgot about the isolation part....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

I'm not sure what the Grace Hopper setup is. And posting powerpoint slides is kinda worthless if one subscribes to the belief that powerpoint should supplement the presentation, not contain the presentation. The pp slides might give one an over-arching idea of what the talk was about, but won't give specifics or vital information that may have been inserted. Plus, I've noticed, they never include the all-important demo / code for a lot of the more technical talks. Given that my presentation isn't technical, I'm not sure what kind of slide deck I'll end up with, if I even get to bring one. I need to get more information on the process from my peeps who have been there before.

Don't suffer in silence.  There's an event team with Grace Hopper which should be able to provide you with samples and examples of how typical presentations like the one you're doing ought to look.  Cadence, actual length of presentation vs questions, etc... all should be knowns to them.  They should even have a template you should be using.

As to Technical vs not - the content still basically stays the same.  As in - what do you want the audience to walk away with? You're essentially helping them not steer their mentoring into making it about the mentor, so what tips do you have to help them do that?

In this case - less tends to be more.  Keep it short/keep it simple.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

And that would KILL you if you presented here in Belgium. They won't ask questions. They won't respond to things like "Who here is actively processing oxygen?". It's bad. Better to fill your time and then say "THANK YOU CLEVELAND!" as you leave Antwerp.

BWAAA-HAAAA-HAAAA!!!!  It wouldn't kill me at all.  In fact, I'd love it because I don't actually give people time to ask questions.  I also feel that if they need to ask question, then I haven't actually done my job correctly.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Matt Miller (4) wrote:

You're essentially helping them not steer their mentoring into making it about the mentor, so what tips do you have to help them do that?

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying with this sentence. Could you clarify?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Matt Miller (4) wrote:

You're essentially helping them not steer their mentoring into making it about the mentor, so what tips do you have to help them do that?

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying with this sentence. Could you clarify?

Sorry about that - was thinking about your topic (and what I might leave behind given that topic).

Imposter syndrome  is about not feeling confident about one's own accomplishments and credentials: having that impede one's willingness to mentor actually sounds like one of the commonly mentioned mentoring "traps", i.e. that the mentorship is about the mentor and/or their accomplishments.  It's really about the mentee and helping them understand what THEY need to do/learn/etc...

ergo - what tips would I give to keep refocusing it on the person you are mentoring.

• Huh. An interesting thought. Not where I was going to take the presentation, but now that you mention it, I might include a moment to discuss this.

• So today I found out about a huge data breach in one of Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) which affected over one million people that could have been in contact with the university (former and current faculty members, students and applicants). It's ironic as they are supposed to be teaching how to prevent these issues but companies keep having huge vulnerabilities which I'm almost sure was some kind of SQL injection.

More about this at: https://www.zdnet.com/article/georgia-tech-reveals-data-breach-1-3-million-records-exposed/

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares wrote:

So today I found out about a huge data breach in one of Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) which affected over one million people that could have been in contact with the university (former and current faculty members, students and applicants). It's ironic as they are supposed to be teaching how to prevent these issues but companies keep having huge vulnerabilities which I'm almost sure was some kind of SQL injection. More about this at: https://www.zdnet.com/article/georgia-tech-reveals-data-breach-1-3-million-records-exposed/

I think that the "they" you referenced are a bit nebulous.

412-977-3526 call/text

• Robert Sterbal wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

So today I found out about a huge data breach in one of Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) which affected over one million people that could have been in contact with the university (former and current faculty members, students and applicants). It's ironic as they are supposed to be teaching how to prevent these issues but companies keep having huge vulnerabilities which I'm almost sure was some kind of SQL injection. More about this at: https://www.zdnet.com/article/georgia-tech-reveals-data-breach-1-3-million-records-exposed/

I think that the "they" you referenced are a bit nebulous.

"They" as Georgia Tech people.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares wrote:

"They" as Georgia Tech people.

I understand. But who did the injection, and who was tasked with preventing it? Was it an internal or external resource?

The details regarding security are as important as the irony.

412-977-3526 call/text

Viewing 15 posts - 63,601 through 63,615 (of 66,671 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply