Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Thom A - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:26 AM

Sean Lange - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:10 AM

HAHA!!! This reminds me of very first job as a dev. I had to update the employee table to change somebody's name. I ran a very similar update statement without a where clause that was supposed to disable one users account but instead disabled the whole table. To pour salt on the wound they had a trigger on that table that checked to see if the account was disabled and if so, it used some sp_OACreate stuff (sql 7) and disable their AD account. I managed to disable the entire company's AD accounts. Close to 5,000 employees nation wide. It was a bit of a nightmare to say the least that took almost two days for the whole IT staff to unravel.

That's sounds like a barrel of laughs :hehe: It does, however, make me wonder why Dev was linked to the live AD 😛 Lessons learned from your mistakes I suppose 🙂

It wasn't dev. They actually asked me to do that in production my very first week there. I was still wet behind the ears and didn't realize the completely stupid request.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:54 AM

Grant Fritchey - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:51 AM

jasona.work - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:45 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:26 AM

Thom A - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:12 AM

Concerning that someone who has probably created at least 100 topics on this forum is now asking what ISNULL, MAX and CAST "means".

Thom, I urgently need your help with something. Can you explain what SELECT is and why I need it?

:Whistling:

Um, is it bad if I ran this in production a week ago:
    UPDATE ANNUALSALARY SET SALARY = 'POTATO';

The bosses were saying something today about there being problems with this weeks payroll and we might not get paid...
    Does what I did have anything to do with it?
    :crazy::hehe:

I think the fact that it didn't error is the biggest problem. WHOOP!

How the heck did you get into our database, Jason?

Grant, there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for why it didn't error. I needed to update some salaries to "BAZILLION" and the money datatypes don't go that high.

Yours?  I was trying to get to payroll.NSA.gov!

Well, I hope they don't mind getting paid potatoes this week...

• jasona.work - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:42 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:54 AM

Concerning that someone who has probably created at least 100 topics on this forum is now asking what ISNULL, MAX and CAST "means".

Thom, I urgently need your help with something. Can you explain what SELECT is and why I need it?

The bosses were saying something today about there being problems with this weeks payroll and we might not get paid...

Grant, there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for why it didn't error. I needed to update some salaries to "BAZILLION" and the money datatypes don't go that high.

he he, not bad
    😎
    select abs(checksum('POTATO'))

$1877332705 ???

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:49 AM

jasona.work - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:42 AM

he he, not bad
    😎
    select abs(checksum('POTATO'))

$1877332705 ???

Umm...
    Excuse me for a few minutes, I need to, um...
    Fix something, yeah, that's it, fix something...
    /me scurries off to make my annual salary POTATO...
    :hehe::Whistling:😀

Anyone want to get flown out to SUMMIT this year on my new salary?
    :hehe:

• BrainDonor - Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:46 AM

drew.allen - Monday, March 27, 2017 10:17 AM

Now that I'm officially unemployed, I finally got around to downloading SQL 2016 developer edition to play around with.  Right now, the two most frustrating things are that they changed the syntax for regex search and replace (without changing the documentation to match) and I no longer have RedGate SQL Prompt.

Drew

I had SQL Prompt on my 2014 installation but had to re-install SQL Prompt after installing SSMS for 2016 and it was all fine.

I had it through my former employer, not on my personal computer.  Buying a license for personal use isn't in my current budget.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• jasona.work - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:42 AM

If you want that, just look on your phone. Their software might have run in reverse due to the recent increased demands for potatoes. 😉

• Someone who knows more than me about clustering, please weigh in?
    https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1867482/2016-Cluster-Questions-For-Always-On-but-also-with-other-services

What he's thinking sounds like a bad idea, and if I saw a client doing that I would be advising against in in the strongest possible manner, but since that's a test lab he's talking about, it'll work, but...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Sean Lange - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:10 AM

Thom A - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:56 AM

OH don't get me started on that. Someone was asked to update the name of someone last week, as it had been entered incorrectly. The SQL?
    UPDATE misys_users
    SET surname = 'Lapine';

Yeah... That took that software off line for good 30 minutes. We were scrambling to work out why no one could login, and they finally piped up 20 minutes later to tell us they may have "made a mistake"... To add insult to injury, Lapine was also not the correct spelling. :pinch:

HAHA!!! This reminds me of very first job as a dev. I had to update the employee table to change somebody's name. I ran a very similar update statement without a where clause that was supposed to disable one users account but instead disabled the whole table. To pour salt on the wound they had a trigger on that table that checked to see if the account was disabled and if so, it used some sp_OACreate stuff (sql 7) and disable their AD account. I managed to disable the entire company's AD accounts. Close to 5,000 employees nation wide. It was a bit of a nightmare to say the least that took almost two days for the whole IT staff to unravel.

This sounds like actual hell on toast for you, but I enjoyed reading about it.

• ... is what a sadist would write.

• Beatrix Kiddo - Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:50 AM

OH don't get me started on that. Someone was asked to update the name of someone last week, as it had been entered incorrectly. The SQL?
    UPDATE misys_users
    SET surname = 'Lapine';

Yeah... That took that software off line for good 30 minutes. We were scrambling to work out why no one could login, and they finally piped up 20 minutes later to tell us they may have "made a mistake"... To add insult to injury, Lapine was also not the correct spelling. :pinch:

haha yeah it was pretty embarrassing that I single handedly took down the entire company. But like I say it was probably my first or second week out of college at my first dev job. Shame on them for turning me loose on a production server with no experience.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:55 AM

The Colorado Springs SQL Server Users Group held its SQL Saturday this past Saturday (2017-03-25).  Our fearless SSC Leader was there and held two outstanding sessions (yes, I am kissing up a bit), and while I had the opportunity to talk to him I asked if it would be okay to ask for some help from this awesome community.  So here it goes, my daughter would like some help so she doesn't have to depend on me to make this great opportunity happen.  What opportunity you ask?  This one: Daughter seeking help Awesome Internship Opportunity Abroad in Ireland.

Yes, I benefit as well, as I save some money that can go to continuing to pay for her college.

Thank you.

Thanks, Lynn

• Beatrix Kiddo - Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:50 AM

UPDATE misys_users
    SET surname = 'Lapine';

That does sound pretty brutal.  I suppose the bright side is that there was at least one user left in AD that could update accounts. 😉

• Ed Wagner - Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:29 AM

Beatrix Kiddo - Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:50 AM

UPDATE misys_users
    SET surname = 'Lapine';

That does sound pretty brutal.  I suppose the bright side is that there was at least one user left in AD that could update accounts. 😉

Yeah there were a couple of admin AD service accounts that were not in the database....phew!!! Would probably have been the end of my still fledgling career if we would have had to build a brand new domain because all the users got disabled. :w00t:

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:28 AM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:55 AM

The Colorado Springs SQL Server Users Group held its SQL Saturday this past Saturday (2017-03-25).  Our fearless SSC Leader was there and held two outstanding sessions (yes, I am kissing up a bit), and while I had the opportunity to talk to him I asked if it would be okay to ask for some help from this awesome community.  So here it goes, my daughter would like some help so she doesn't have to depend on me to make this great opportunity happen.  What opportunity you ask?  This one: Daughter seeking help Awesome Internship Opportunity Abroad in Ireland.

Yes, I benefit as well, as I save some money that can go to continuing to pay for her college.

Thank you.

Thanks, Lynn

And thank you, Steve.

• Sean Lange - Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:09 AM

Ed Wagner - Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:29 AM

Beatrix Kiddo - Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:50 AM

UPDATE misys_users
    SET surname = 'Lapine';

Yeah there were a couple of admin AD service accounts that were not in the database....phew!!! Would probably have been the end of my still fledgling career if we would have had to build a brand new domain because all the users got disabled. :w00t:

I sure hope they removed the sp_OACreate right after that. Talk about bass-ackward processes.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 57,946 through 57,960 (of 66,681 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply