Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster - Saturday, March 25, 2017 4:41 PM

DevOps isn't a job! Any company that thinks 'devops' is a title for someone has rather missed the point of the entire thing.

A quote from a classic Soviet time movie:

- Your man on the post is an idiot!
    - Yes, but he's the one on the post...

• GilaMonster - Saturday, March 25, 2017 4:41 PM

DevOps isn't a job! Any company that thinks 'devops' is a title for someone has rather missed the point of the entire thing.

I couldn't agree more.  Sigh... here we go again where another great idea is being so bastardized that it won't bear much semblance to the original by the time they're done with it.  Some also think that it's a method or collection of methods of some sort.  They don't understand that it's a culture and they don't understand that it's nothing new although the buzz-word certainly is.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• You guys are so out of date!

🙂

Look here: http://devopsinstitute.com/courses/#sthash.oGciFt1W.dpbs

There are courses, there are certificates, so - it's surely a job position!

• Jeff Moden - Saturday, March 25, 2017 9:05 PM

GilaMonster - Saturday, March 25, 2017 4:41 PM

I couldn't agree more.  Sigh... here we go again where another great idea is being so bastardized that it won't bear much semblance to the original by the time they're done with it.  Some also think that it's a method or collection of methods of some sort.  They don't understand that it's a culture and they don't understand that it's nothing new although the buzz-word certainly is.

We have a DevOps department.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John - Sunday, March 26, 2017 7:30 PM

Jeff Moden - Saturday, March 25, 2017 9:05 PM

That sounds useful!
    That way, they get to do the DevOps thing and ensure the company is not lagging, and all other staff can still devote all of their time to just building stuff without being distracted by all that new-fangled stuff.
    Perhaps I should steal the idea and get it introduced at some of my clients...

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• SQLRNNR - Friday, March 24, 2017 3:14 PM

Sean Lange - Friday, March 24, 2017 2:53 PM

Lynn Pettis - Friday, March 24, 2017 2:18 PM

It's fun when an OP deletes the contents of their original post.  Nice when the first response happens to quote it so you can still see it.

link?

Nah. It didn't happen😉

No, it's on the Internet, so now it exists forever...

Like those spring break pics of me from '98...
    Not sure why I built a site around those...

What do they do?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

I think the department is an organizational structure, and not a job here. I think this is a good idea, as it is more of a teaching / contracting guild that helps other departments improve their software development.

• jasona.work - Monday, March 27, 2017 6:13 AM

You were young and needed to monetize the pictures of you being young and needing the money?

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• ThomasRushton - Monday, March 27, 2017 7:14 AM

jasona.work - Monday, March 27, 2017 6:13 AM

You were young and needed to monetize the pictures of you being young and needing the money?

Wait, you mean I could've *CHARGED* people to see the pictures?
    Man, there goes $20...

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, March 27, 2017 7:14 AM

Michael L John - Sunday, March 26, 2017 7:30 PM

I think the department is an organizational structure, and not a job here. I think this is a good idea, as it is more of a teaching / contracting guild that helps other departments improve their software development.

The DevOps department is essentially the go-between for the scrum teams, and the rest of us.  They coordinate releases and control the state of the various environments.  They also do a lot of R&D of the various tech "ideas" that come up.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Now that I'm officially unemployed, I finally got around to downloading SQL 2016 developer edition to play around with.  Right now, the two most frustrating things are that they changed the syntax for regex search and replace (without changing the documentation to match) and I no longer have RedGate SQL Prompt.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen - Monday, March 27, 2017 10:17 AM

Now that I'm officially unemployed, I finally got around to downloading SQL 2016 developer edition to play around with.  Right now, the two most frustrating things are that they changed the syntax for regex search and replace (without changing the documentation to match) and I no longer have RedGate SQL Prompt.

Drew

So the people who insist that documentation is best practice refuses to update their documentation?

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeee. Send out the hippos!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Now that I'm officially unemployed, I finally got around to downloading SQL 2016 developer edition to play around with.  Right now, the two most frustrating things are that they changed the syntax for regex search and replace (without changing the documentation to match) and I no longer have RedGate SQL Prompt.

Drew

I've heard so many nice things about RedGate SQL Prompt that I'm afraid of asking for it to avoid losing it when changing jobs and fall into depression.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Drew

I had SQL Prompt on my 2014 installation but had to re-install SQL Prompt after installing SSMS for 2016 and it was all fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 57,901 through 57,915 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply