Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

Ed Wagner (10/31/2016)

ThomasRushton (10/31/2016)

Wryan138 (10/30/2016)

So in lieu of some marvelous SQL wizardry, I'm just trying to help out a little.

Wayne

Welcome aboard. I must admit, I do use your posts as a tool for hunting spam - like Jeff, I am able to remove it from some parts of SSC...

So am I, and I also appreciate the reports. For a while, it appeared that the spammers were adapting because they were posting lots of spam to the forums I can't delete from. That changed last night, when they spread it out over lots of different forums again.

What is this ability to delete spam some of you are talking about? I guess I am not part of that club.

Me neither. Wrong shoes?

Wait you have shoes on? I knew I was doing it wrong. πŸ˜›

Ooh you made it to JasonA's funky island then?

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

Ed Wagner (10/31/2016)

Wryan138 (10/30/2016)

So in lieu of some marvelous SQL wizardry, I'm just trying to help out a little.

Wayne

Welcome aboard. I must admit, I do use your posts as a tool for hunting spam - like Jeff, I am able to remove it from some parts of SSC...

So am I, and I also appreciate the reports. For a while, it appeared that the spammers were adapting because they were posting lots of spam to the forums I can't delete from. That changed last night, when they spread it out over lots of different forums again.

What is this ability to delete spam some of you are talking about? I guess I am not part of that club.

Me neither. Wrong shoes?

Come!

Join us on the Isle!

Shoes are optional!

Shirts are optional!

Rum punches are not optional, you have to have at least one with lunch!

:hehe:

• jasona.work (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

Ed Wagner (10/31/2016)

Wryan138 (10/30/2016)

Wayne

Me neither. Wrong shoes?

Come!

Join us on the Isle!

Shoes are optional!

Shirts are optional!

Make room in the sand and count me in for three. I am already half way there.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

jasona.work (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

Ed Wagner (10/31/2016)

Wryan138 (10/30/2016)

Wayne

Me neither. Wrong shoes?

Come!

Join us on the Isle!

Shoes are optional!

Shirts are optional!

Me too. Sean and I will bring the food. πŸ˜€

• Ed Wagner (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

jasona.work (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

Ed Wagner (10/31/2016)

Wryan138 (10/30/2016)

Wayne

Me neither. Wrong shoes?

Come!

Join us on the Isle!

Shoes are optional!

Shirts are optional!

Considering what you two have discussed here, I'll kick Grant off to make room...

πŸ˜€

• jasona.work (10/31/2016)

Ed Wagner (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

jasona.work (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

Ed Wagner (10/31/2016)

Wryan138 (10/30/2016)

Wayne

Me neither. Wrong shoes?

Come!

Join us on the Isle!

Shoes are optional!

Shirts are optional!

Considering what you two have discussed here, I'll kick Grant off to make room...

πŸ˜€

Keep Grant around...we need some help to eat it all.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

jasona.work (10/31/2016)

Ed Wagner (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

jasona.work (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

Ed Wagner (10/31/2016)

Wryan138 (10/30/2016)

Wayne

Me neither. Wrong shoes?

Come!

Join us on the Isle!

Shoes are optional!

Shirts are optional!

πŸ˜€

Did someone ask for help to eat? Where do I start?

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Me neither. Wish I could do more than just report it and have it hang around for hours afterwards.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

Me neither. Wish I could do more than just report it and have it hang around for hours afterwards.

I see how they got rid of the small spamming problem on Simple-Talk... is it just me or have the forums disappeared from Simple-Talk?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Wryan138 (10/31/2016)

I think that Jeff was politely saying that the best way to not see the SPAM is to

put ME on the Ignore List. To date 99% of my posts have gone into the bit bucket.

Nope. Not suggesting that we put you on any kind of an ignore list. Your SPAM notifications help a lot and, besides, you might jump in on a post to help someone with some of your own goodies.

As for your posts alerting folks to SPAM, they're simply hidden. You still get a point for making each one. Just to mark things, you have 3,625 points so far.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Luis Cazares (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

jasona.work (10/31/2016)

Ed Wagner (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

jasona.work (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

Ed Wagner (10/31/2016)

Wryan138 (10/30/2016)

Wayne

Me neither. Wrong shoes?

Come!

Join us on the Isle!

Shoes are optional!

Shirts are optional!

πŸ˜€

Haha!

I can hunt, fish, forage and cook and I have a gazebo thingy and couple of tents (but no hippo). Got any room?

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (11/1/2016)

Luis Cazares (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

jasona.work (10/31/2016)

Ed Wagner (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

jasona.work (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

ChrisM@Work (10/31/2016)

Sean Lange (10/31/2016)

Ed Wagner (10/31/2016)

Wryan138 (10/30/2016)

Wayne

Me neither. Wrong shoes?

Come!

Join us on the Isle!

Shoes are optional!

Shirts are optional!

πŸ˜€

Haha!

I can hunt, fish, forage and cook and I have a gazebo thingy and couple of tents (but no hippo). Got any room?

I've got a barrel of cider maturing in the cellar, can I come?

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (11/1/2016)

Just send the barrel. We'll review your application later. :Whistling:

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis (11/1/2016)

BWFC (11/1/2016)

SECOND!

All in favor?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (11/1/2016)

Hugo Kornelis (11/1/2016)

BWFC (11/1/2016)

SECOND!

All in favor?

One barrel coming up. I'll keep the contents though πŸ˜›

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Viewing 15 posts - 56,461 through 56,475 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply