Are the posted questions getting worse?

• drew.allen (10/10/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (10/10/2016)

Grant Fritchey (10/10/2016)

This was an... interesting? ... read. Weird location. I've never heard of this person. I think this is their only SQL writing. It's just odd.

No need to pile on or do anything mean. I just found it really interesting. Thought I would share. From reading up on the author, I think they just write stuff, any stuff.

I wonder if this person understands how SANs work at all. I've known places where it doesn't matter how many logical drives you have, they're all on the same section of SAN, so are still using the same exact resource. Which would make separating them out kind of useless.

And then there's this golden nugget:

When there are extra columns within the database, the system will perform poorly.

Ummm. Hrrrr. So how do I remove those pesky extra columns from the database? Given the phrasing, I assume these are rogue columns without a table. Does anyone have a magic lasso with which to round up rogue columns?

I think they just borrowed these tips from somewhere and don't really understand them. For instance, they recommend filtering data, but give as an example changing 'New York City' to 'New York'. :blink:

Drew

Which doesn't work if you're talking about states.

Oh, wait. I keep forgetting NYC practically is its own state. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (10/11/2016)

GilaMonster (10/10/2016)

Hugo, are you heading west (over the Atlantic) or east (over the Pacific) on your Amsterdam to Seattle leg?

North. The flight goes over Greenland and Canada. Doesn't technically cross the Atlantic at all

East would be an incredibly long way round. All the way across Europe, the Middle East, India (or the Indian Ocean) and the Far East (or Australia) and then the entire way across the Pacific. Probably a good 20 hours of flying at least going that way, plus, I would guess, two or three layovers (Dubai and/or Singapore and Hawaii perhaps, Singapore and Sydney might also work, though that veers a fair way South), vs the 10 hours and direct that going North (well, North North East more like) is.

"The long way round" was why I asked. East and West just didn't compute for a direct flight and for some reason, North never occurred to me.

Its 9 1/2 hours direct from London to Seattle. Same reason over the North then down.

NYC is 8 hours.

The direct flight from NYC to Seattle is 6 hours! So I am staying at JFK overnight. I will be in NYC 3 times on this trip. I really must stop making things "more interesting" :w00t:

Rodders...

• Hugo Kornelis (10/10/2016)

GilaMonster (10/10/2016)

Ah, why not.

I get to Seattle Sunday 23rd Oct (via London)

Oh, we'e sharing travel schedules now?

Well we are now, that you have joined in, Hugo! 😉

Rodders...

• Brandie Tarvin (10/11/2016)

GilaMonster (10/10/2016)

Hugo, are you heading west (over the Atlantic) or east (over the Pacific) on your Amsterdam to Seattle leg?

North. The flight goes over Greenland and Canada. Doesn't technically cross the Atlantic at all

East would be an incredibly long way round. All the way across Europe, the Middle East, India (or the Indian Ocean) and the Far East (or Australia) and then the entire way across the Pacific. Probably a good 20 hours of flying at least going that way, plus, I would guess, two or three layovers (Dubai and/or Singapore and Hawaii perhaps, Singapore and Sydney might also work, though that veers a fair way South), vs the 10 hours and direct that going North (well, North North East more like) is.

"The long way round" was why I asked. East and West just didn't compute for a direct flight and for some reason, North never occurred to me.

Going west would be longer than North, as the Earth isn't a perfect sphere, but would probably still only be around 14 hours. Consider that London to New York is ~7 hours, and Seattle to New York is ~5 hours.

East would be way longer, as it's going much further, it's crossing Europe, Asia and the Pacific. London to Dubai is 9 hours alone.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (10/11/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (10/11/2016)

GilaMonster (10/10/2016)

Going west would be longer than North, as the Earth isn't a perfect sphere, but would probably still only be around 14 hours. Consider that London to New York is ~7 hours, and Seattle to New York is ~5 hours.

East would be way longer, as it's going much further, it's crossing Europe, Asia and the Pacific. London to Dubai is 9 hours alone.

Not that it affects your overall assertion, but London to Dubai is 7 hours, not 9.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• Grant or anyone else in Boston or NY,

I'm assuming its easier to take the train for that leg of my trip.

Should I pre book, or is it just the same on the day?

Cheers,

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (10/11/2016)

Grant or anyone else in Boston or NY,

Cheers,

Rodders...

I'm in neither Boston nor NY, but New Hampshire (close to Boston) and I would guess train is probably easiest, depending on where you are staying and getting to/from train stations vs airports.

Where are you staying in Boston? I may be able to make down there for a dinner.

-Jack

• Jack Corbett (10/11/2016)

rodjkidd (10/11/2016)

Cheers,

Rodders...

I'm in neither Boston nor NY, but New Hampshire (close to Boston) and I would guess train is probably easiest, depending on where you are staying and getting to/from train stations vs airports.

Where are you staying in Boston? I may be able to make down there for a dinner.

-Jack

The DoubleTree near the theatre district, as I'm, er, going to 2 concerts at the Royale. I see there is also a train station not far from there.

It would be great to see you.

I'm there from Nov 2nd and go back to NYC Nov 7th. Concerts are 2nd and 4th

Cheers,

Rodders...

• Jeff Moden (10/10/2016)

drew.allen (10/10/2016)

Grant Fritchey (10/10/2016)

This was an... interesting? ... read. Weird location. I've never heard of this person. I think this is their only SQL writing. It's just odd.

No need to pile on or do anything mean. I just found it really interesting. Thought I would share. From reading up on the author, I think they just write stuff, any stuff.

I wonder if this person understands how SANs work at all. I've known places where it doesn't matter how many logical drives you have, they're all on the same section of SAN, so are still using the same exact resource. Which would make separating them out kind of useless.

And then there's this golden nugget:

When there are extra columns within the database, the system will perform poorly.

Ummm. Hrrrr. So how do I remove those pesky extra columns from the database? Given the phrasing, I assume these are rogue columns without a table. Does anyone have a magic lasso with which to round up rogue columns?

I think they just borrowed these tips from somewhere and don't really understand them. For instance, they recommend filtering data, but give as an example changing 'New York City' to 'New York'. :blink:

Drew

If you click on the links buried within the article, you see where the concepts for the article came from and how they were badly paraphrased, especially for #10. Of course, you look at the articles in those links, there are some pretty bad misconceptions, as well.

It's articles like that and those that were linked to that make me feel really bad for any newbies trying to teach themselves something.

Hence this blog post[/url] and this editorial[/url]. I really do wonder where and how people are learning these days.

I hadn't followed the links. I followed one and saw that estimated plans use estimated statistics and actual plans use actual statistics. I stopped reading there to go and weep quietly for a little while.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• rodjkidd (10/11/2016)

Cheers,

Rodders...

Boston to NYC, train is way better. I'd pre-book. Paranoid. Most of the time, you'll be able to just walk on. Sometimes though.... no.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (10/11/2016)

rodjkidd (10/11/2016)

Cheers,

Rodders...

Boston to NYC, train is way better. I'd pre-book. Paranoid. Most of the time, you'll be able to just walk on. Sometimes though.... no.

Many thanks Grant.

So have you worked out when we are meeting up yet?

So that leaves one concert to book, and one return train journey and I'm done!

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (10/11/2016)

Grant Fritchey (10/11/2016)

rodjkidd (10/11/2016)

Cheers,

Rodders...

Many thanks Grant.

Rodders...

No. I need to do that. Can you email me the dates again. I can't find them in my account.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Ok, I think I might be going crazy but I've never seem to have any issues with html encoding when posting code before. However, for some reason I'm now getting '& gt;' rather than '>'.

EDIT: LOL...well I've had to put a space in since apparently it works fine here.

...but in a code block

>

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• Grant Fritchey (10/11/2016)

rodjkidd (10/11/2016)

Grant Fritchey (10/11/2016)

rodjkidd (10/11/2016)

Cheers,

Rodders...

Many thanks Grant.

Rodders...

No. I need to do that. Can you email me the dates again. I can't find them in my account.

I told Jack in a previous post 😉 six back hehe

'I'm there from Nov 2nd and go back to NYC Nov 7th. Concerts are 2nd and 4th'

Rodders...

• Y.B. (10/11/2016)

Ok, I think I might be going crazy but I've never seem to have any issues with html encoding when posting code before. However, for some reason I'm now getting '& gt;' rather than '>'.

EDIT: LOL...well I've had to put a space in since apparently it works fine here.

...but in a code block

>

Just put the code tags on separate lines.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 15 posts - 56,176 through 56,190 (of 66,669 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply