Are the posted questions getting worse?

• SQLRNNR (8/31/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (8/31/2015)

Ed Wagner (8/31/2015)

Sean Lange (8/31/2015)

Grant Fritchey (8/31/2015)

For the upgrade to 10, I think I'd suggest holding off a while. I'm seeing occasional errors: faulty_hardware_corrupted_page. From the Microsoft forums, quite a few others are as well. Seems to cut across the hardware spectrum, Asus, Dell, Toshiba, so it's probably not a proprietary driver. It seems to be something in the OS. One or two more updates before I'd suggest installing it.

I did the inplace upgrade on a desktop at home. Generally it works quite well. I have noticed one thing that is really strange. If the computer goes to sleep about half of the time when it wakes up again it will have hundreds of instances of Windows Explorer running each consuming around 4MB of memory. It will use up around 6-8GB total with these threads running. I tried a couple time to kill them but they are like tribbles. There seems to be no end without a reboot.

Another thing that is strange is that it sometimes won't wake up. I can lights on the mouse and keyboard but no amount of movement or key mashing seems to wake Win10 from its deep slumber. I have to do a hard reboot.

It really sounds like it was ready for production. :w00t: I think I'll wait.

Ditto. OUCH.

EDIT: But then again that sleep / hibernation thing sounds like VISTA business. That's an issue I ran into back in the day.

Yup, that was a problem in Vista and Millenium. And we all know how well those turned out. 😉

I have yet to see that issue in Win 7 or 8.1.

I always thought of Windows ME as a bug. It never should have been released, but the bug was that it somehow did.

• SQLRNNR (8/31/2015)

Luis Cazares (8/31/2015)

I am planning to upgrade at least one of my machines. Haven't decided if it'll be the 8.1 or 7. But I'm waiting to hear feed back from everyone else on upgrade issues. Probably do it in late October.

My advice, upgrade the 8.1. Just a personal preference, but I prefer 7 to 8.1. And if you're concerned about privacy, 7 seems like a better option.

7 is many times better as an option. Win10 has serious privacy issues. If privacy is not a concern, go ahead.

Privacy should always be a concern.

• Ed Wagner (8/31/2015)

SQLRNNR (8/31/2015)

Ed Wagner (8/31/2015)

Sean Lange (8/31/2015)

Grant Fritchey (8/31/2015)

For the upgrade to 10, I think I'd suggest holding off a while. I'm seeing occasional errors: faulty_hardware_corrupted_page. From the Microsoft forums, quite a few others are as well. Seems to cut across the hardware spectrum, Asus, Dell, Toshiba, so it's probably not a proprietary driver. It seems to be something in the OS. One or two more updates before I'd suggest installing it.

I did the inplace upgrade on a desktop at home. Generally it works quite well. I have noticed one thing that is really strange. If the computer goes to sleep about half of the time when it wakes up again it will have hundreds of instances of Windows Explorer running each consuming around 4MB of memory. It will use up around 6-8GB total with these threads running. I tried a couple time to kill them but they are like tribbles. There seems to be no end without a reboot.

Another thing that is strange is that it sometimes won't wake up. I can lights on the mouse and keyboard but no amount of movement or key mashing seems to wake Win10 from its deep slumber. I have to do a hard reboot.

It really sounds like it was ready for production. :w00t: I think I'll wait.

Ditto. OUCH.

EDIT: But then again that sleep / hibernation thing sounds like VISTA business. That's an issue I ran into back in the day.

Yup, that was a problem in Vista and Millenium. And we all know how well those turned out. 😉

I have yet to see that issue in Win 7 or 8.1.

I always thought of Windows ME as a bug. It never should have been released, but the bug was that it somehow did.

Yup, ME was a bug!

😎

• Ed Wagner (8/31/2015)

SQLRNNR (8/31/2015)

Luis Cazares (8/31/2015)

I am planning to upgrade at least one of my machines. Haven't decided if it'll be the 8.1 or 7. But I'm waiting to hear feed back from everyone else on upgrade issues. Probably do it in late October.

My advice, upgrade the 8.1. Just a personal preference, but I prefer 7 to 8.1. And if you're concerned about privacy, 7 seems like a better option.

7 is many times better as an option. Win10 has serious privacy issues. If privacy is not a concern, go ahead.

I'm not sure this is as big a deal as some people have written. Hard to decide if this is journalism run amok for the sake of hits: http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microsoft-is-not-spying-on-you-with-windows-10/

• Since many of you find issues and problems and answer them, maybe a few of you would want to submit some questions of the day?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Contributions/New/Question

• I'm actually working on my first QotD submission, coincidentally enough. From those of you who have done it before, is there a way to preview what the submitted question will look like? I'm probably just missing it, but I haven't found the way to do it so I'm a bit leery of submitting just yet.

Cheers!

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/31/2015)

Ed Wagner (8/31/2015)

SQLRNNR (8/31/2015)

Luis Cazares (8/31/2015)

I'm not sure this is as big a deal as some people have written. Hard to decide if this is journalism run amok for the sake of hits: http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microsoft-is-not-spying-on-you-with-windows-10/

/shrug I don't think MS is tracking anything beyond what Google or Apple does on their cloud devices. And the options are pretty easy to find and disable in windows 10, yes they're on by default which some people don't like, and yes it's the first PC OS that is so tightly integrated with a cloud service but considering everything I do on my smartphone I'm not super worried about it.

• I'm planning on upgrading one of my Win7 laptops to Win10 in the next few months...I'm trying to let Win10 'settle down' as much as possible without going past the free year. For everyone who has upgraded, did you have any issues with existing files and/or applications? I'm planning on doing a backup first, but am looking to see if anyone had issues with lost files/applications that needed reinstalled.

Once I upgrade my Win7 laptop, I'm letting my wife test drive it to see if she wants to upgrade her Win8.1 laptop (she hates relearning how to use her computer). Then I have two other computers to upgrade (eventually)....what fun.

-SQLBill

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/31/2015)

Heh... I trust them as far as I can throw them on such things. They added a Windows 10 Upgrade icon to my tray on my laptop. If they can do that, what else can they do? Of course, it's not likely that Windows 10 will be any less secure than my current Windows 7 OS but there's also no guarantee of that. So, I'll wait for a while longer.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (8/31/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/31/2015)

Heh... I trust them as far as I can throw them on such things. They added a Windows 10 Upgrade icon to my tray on my laptop. If they can do that, what else can they do? Of course, it's not likely that Windows 10 will be any less secure than my current Windows 7 OS but there's also no guarantee of that. So, I'll wait for a while longer.

The icon gets added via a Windows Update that was sent out as a "Recommended" update. So, if you were like most people (including me) on your machine you just check the boxes (or let the install on their own.)

If you want to get rid of the icon, just uninstall KB3035583 and don't re-install it...

Jason

• GilaMonster (8/31/2015)

A question for those who have upgraded to Windows 10 and have SQL and Visual Studio installed:

What the total size of the Windows and 2 Program Files directories?

I'm trying to decide whether I get an SSD for boot drive and, if so, how big it has to be.

On my laptop those 3 add up to 71GB, but (a) there's a lot of junk in there and (b) only some of VS is installed (must get around to adding some more) - I imagine (a) and (b) will cancel each other out.

But on top of that there's Windows.Old which contains stuff needed to do a revert to 8.1, which I will keep for a month or two just in case. That's another 22GB.

Tom

• jasona.work (8/31/2015)

Jeff Moden (8/31/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/31/2015)

The icon gets added via a Windows Update that was sent out as a "Recommended" update. So, if you were like most people (including me) on your machine you just check the boxes (or let the install on their own.)

If you want to get rid of the icon, just uninstall KB3035583 and don't re-install it...

Jason

When it comes to updates and system stability, I don't trust them as far as I can throw a Greyhound bus. Too many times, I've seen perfectly good, well-performing, nicely-behaving systems wrecked by system updates. I got Windows 7 on my home laptop because I had to and it's been pretty good. Then again, I don't install any updates except for security updates.

Now they're calling a new OS is an upgrade? Well, at least they aren't soaking people for another $89 to install their next OS. From the sounds of what I've read here, it doesn't sound like it was ready for production anyway.

• Did upgrade 7 to 10 at home, quick and no problems (after I remembered to remove anti virus software), switched off Advertising ID and Cortana.

I still hate the interface (hated 8)

No problems with software so far.

Only problem was with X-Box USB controller seems that WIN10 keeps USB port active and thinks I am using controller when I am not and therefore screen saver / power options do not work. I removed the controller (and joystick) have yet to retest.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• TomThomson (8/31/2015)

GilaMonster (8/31/2015)

A question for those who have upgraded to Windows 10 and have SQL and Visual Studio installed:

What the total size of the Windows and 2 Program Files directories?

I'm trying to decide whether I get an SSD for boot drive and, if so, how big it has to be.

On my laptop those 3 add up to 71GB, but (a) there's a lot of junk in there and (b) only some of VS is installed (must get around to adding some more) - I imagine (a) and (b) will cancel each other out.

But on top of that there's Windows.Old which contains stuff needed to do a revert to 8.1, which I will keep for a month or two just in case. That's another 22GB.

26GB on my lightly used laptop. I have a full install of VS2013, except for Blend and Lightswitch. Selection of SQL Server items installed (DB Engine, Management Tools, SSAS, SSIS, but no replication, MDS, DQS, SSRS).

Windows.old is 28GB for me and you will also need to accommodate it on the SSD.

IMO 128GB for your system SSD is about good enough. 64GB and you'll run out of space (I tried and had to keep moving stuff around to keep it alive).

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• Thanks everyone

I'm leaning towards getting a 256 GB SSD for the OS and then 2 (or 3) 1TB drives for all the large stuff (databases, graphics resources for my 3D stuff, games, documents, videos, etc). The current desktop has 2 1TB drives in it and one very old 320GB (which still works fine surprisingly), and I've got a 1TB in the drawer that I bought intending to replace the 320 and never did.

The motherboard that Glenn recommended I get has *10* SATA 3 ports on it, so running out of ports won't be an issue, and the case has space for 8 3.5" drives.

Now, affording it all is another matter, as is finding the time to do all the rebuilding.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 50,401 through 50,415 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply