Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (5/29/2015)

Ed Wagner (5/29/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (5/29/2015)

GilaMonster (5/29/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/28/2015)

Is there just one? If there's a separate one for VS Online, pass it over.

Why? It'll only show clouds.

Ahhh.. My funny for the day. @=)

That's cleaver. So, Brandie, be careful with the crystal ball and watch for danger because of the link to DBCC Timewarp. 😀

Danger? More like trouble. Instead of the crystal ball, I ended up with a note on my desk from a future / parallel universe self. Apparently the crystal ball ended up with her to save the internet from self-destruction. Only because the internet apocalypse never happened, I never got the crystal ball or will have the crystal ball and none of us will remember what happened.

But at least parameter 186 of DBCC TIMEWARP() got fixed, because that's what she used to save the ... Wait a sec. If it never happened, did the parameter really get fixed?

My head hurts.

So...Did I really send it? If I remember doing so, does that punch a hole in the space-time continuum itself? As far as it sending itself to a parallel universe version of you to save the internet from destruction, what in the world were you planning to do today??? I hope you don't remember. If you do, don't do it.

I think parameter 186 is the one Koen was having trouble with when he had the crystal ball. Perhaps there's a correlation here, but I have too much to do today. I'll leave that in your capable hands. Enjoy.

• I'm not sure if you've seen this, but it made me laugh and wanted to share it with you.

http://geekandpoke.typepad.com/geekandpoke/2011/01/nosql.html

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (5/29/2015)

I'm not sure if you've seen this, but it made me laugh and wanted to share it with you.

Haha. Would be even funnier if it weren't so true.

I interviewed someone not a while back and they were doing pretty well until...

They had Unix listed on their resume (CV) as a skill. While making small talk (no need to know Unix for the position they were interviewing for) I asked them what flavor of Unix they had worked with. I have a little Unix and Linux experience and was just curious. They did not have a clue what Unix was. They did not know it was an operating system. Could not name a flavor or say what it did. They could only say that, "they had used the software".

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Alan.B (5/29/2015)

Luis Cazares (5/29/2015)

I'm not sure if you've seen this, but it made me laugh and wanted to share it with you.

Haha. Would be even funnier if it weren't so true.

I interviewed someone not a while back and they were doing pretty well until...

They had Unix listed on their resume (CV) as a skill. While making small talk (no need to know Unix for the position they were interviewing for) I asked them what flavor of Unix they had worked with. I have a little Unix and Linux experience and was just curious. They did not have a clue what Unix was. They did not know it was an operating system. Could not name a flavor or say what it did. They could only say that, "they had used the software".

Reminds me of something I see too much here.

Question: Which version of SSIS are you using?

Answer: VS 2008

Or better yet, from a real conversation at work a few years ago.

Question: In what format do you want me to sent the data?

Answer: Notepad.

Scary sometimes! :w00t:

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• We know that the Crystal Ball shows nothing but the clouds, but where is the silver spoon?

< rant >

I am still amazed at how many people have to have things spelled out for them.

< /rant >

• Lynn Pettis (5/29/2015)

We know that the Crystal Ball shows nothing but the clouds, but where is the silver spoon?

< rant >

< /rant >

And further, your patience with them never ceases to amaze me;-)

😎

On the silver spoon, bad news, it's been melted and cast into a bar in Russia to bribe FIFA officials.

• Eirikur Eiriksson (5/29/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/29/2015)

We know that the Crystal Ball shows nothing but the clouds, but where is the silver spoon?

< rant >

< /rant >

😎

On the silver spoon, bad news, it's been melted and cast into a bar in Russia to bribe FIFA officials.

I wonder if my last comment was too much.

Nah, not going to worry about it.

Eirikur Eiriksson (5/29/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/29/2015)

< rant >

< /rant >

😎

Nothing to worry about, you just posted the perfect solution

😎

Eirikur Eiriksson (5/29/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/29/2015)

< rant >

< /rant >

😎

Not even close to too much. The data sucks and causes problems. There are two solutions to this. Fix the data or find another job.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

< rant >

< /rant >

Right there with you.

Worse though are the people that don't read your instructions and/or don't answer the questions but hare off and make changes based on incomplete information and inadequate understanding only to report "Sorry mate, that didn't work."

NO FRIGGING KIDDING SWEETHEART! Since you didn't bother to do a darned thing I suggested you're looking at my "shocked face" that it didn't work.

That sound you hear is not the tectonic plates shifting, it's just my teeth grinding.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• A currently active thread: "I don't use any clustered indexes actually... all of mine are non-clustered..."

Sometimes I do wonder where things went wrong with MS and SQL documentation/references/best practices...

😎

A currently active thread: "I don't use any clustered indexes actually... all of mine are non-clustered..."

Sometimes I do wonder where things went wrong with MS and SQL documentation/references/best practices...

😎

That explains the free space in the database since heaps aren't known for reliable reuse of space.

A currently active thread: "I don't use any clustered indexes actually... all of mine are non-clustered..."

😎

I wonder if this person works for one of my last clients.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Those of you on the view thread, Don't expect much and be sure to have a silver spoon.

• One for Grant (or anyone that knows on Grant's behalf), I hope you don't mind me asking but what is your avatar picture? My mind keeps telling me it's a hat, but my eyes think it's possibly not. Can you please settle this argument once and for all?

Viewing 15 posts - 48,676 through 48,690 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply