Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (4/8/2015)

And on another note, back to SQL 2012 SSMS, does anyone know if that annoying bug with Job Activity Monitor was fixed? The one that puts the big red X in one screen if you have multiple Job Activity Monitors from different instances open on the same open instance of SSMS.

I don't, but I will check right now (with SSMS 2014 though)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Does this answer your question?

Those are two instances on the same server, one 2012 and one 2014 and I opened both from the same SSMS 2014

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (4/8/2015)

Does this answer your question?

Those are two instances on the same server, one 2012 and one 2014 and I opened both from the same SSMS 2014

The bug doesn't always show up immediately for me. Sometimes I can be working for about 10-30 minutes before that refresh causes one of them to go down.

Can you leave those screens open for a while and see if it pops for you?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Sure thing. I'm leaving work in the next 30 min or so, bug me in the morning (your morning is fine) and I'll check them (they're behind Outlook, so I'll probably forget they are there)

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (4/8/2015)

Sure thing. I'm leaving work in the next 30 min or so, bug me in the morning (your morning is fine) and I'll check them (they're behind Outlook, so I'll probably forget they are there)

Thanks, Gail!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• dwain.c (4/7/2015)

I just posted this to "The Worst Comments" discussion thread:

dwain.c (4/7/2015)

-- Some nitwit posting under the moniker of Dwain.C with a big fish for an avatar

-- gave me this code on a SQL forum.

-- Call him if it doesn't work.

Now that's scary!

Haven't gotten any calls yet though.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1675182.aspx

It got me to wondering about people that come to seek help on forums. Is there truth in coding? In other words, do they tell their bosses that in order to solve this problem for their work, they had to seek and receive help on a forum, or do they otherwise take personal credit in an effort to appear a superstar.

Not that I mind either way, mind you. I try to post helpful answers because it is fun. Just wondering out loud.

Always give credit. not if you've taken a snippet, possibly, and changed it beyond recognition, but even then depending.

Apart from the morality and courtesy aspect if there's an attribution, future me, or replacement me have a reference if the code needs reviewing.

I do not, however, attribute like that. Apart from anything else

"Call him if it doesn't work" <- Aye, mate, there's this thing called testing that actual developers, as opposed to screen scrapers, do.

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/7/2015)

SQLRNNR (4/7/2015)

It's not a rumor. SSMS 2014 SUCKS!

If SSMS crashes - you've lost your work. There is no auto-recovery.

SQL Prompt

Tab Recovery

That solves some of the problems. But if they release a product that is supposed to have auto-recovery it should work.

On the other issue front, there are several issues with layout such as the following (if I could resize the window it would be a non-issue).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jason, what screen resolution are you using?

• GilaMonster (4/8/2015)

I use SSMS 2014 exclusively now, because I'm working on SQL Server 2014 and previous versions of SSMS don't work well up-version. The biggest annoyance is the help file. The fact that I have to download the help contents is annoying and not being able to copy from there is just insane. To be honest, I'm using google now more than F1 for syntax help.

Other than that, no problems at all. No crashes when closing and SQLPrompt saves my tab content when there's a power failure which is great. You do have to go and change the keyboard shortcuts after installing, they default to Visual Studio I think. Aaron Bernard (I think) has a blog post on the subject.

I am on the other end of the spectrum. I see SSMS 2014 crash on a weekly basis - not often for as much as I am in it, but still too often.

I do use 2008 SSMS in many cases because it is more stable than 2014 (it just doesn't have the new gui features to manage new features).

I have seen issues with SSMS 2014 on multiple OS's.

Learn Extended Events

GilaMonster (4/8/2015)

Does this answer your question?

The bug doesn't always show up immediately for me. Sometimes I can be working for about 10-30 minutes before that refresh causes one of them to go down.

Can you leave those screens open for a while and see if it pops for you?

The job activity monitor in 2012 and 2014 is much more stable. Despite the ssms crash issue, I have never seen the red x appear in either of the new versions. The issue was memory related. It is handled much better now.

Learn Extended Events

Jason, what screen resolution are you using?

That happens on both of my monitors.

One is 3200x1800 and the other is 1680x1050.

It is an issue in many of the screens in ssms 2014 but not 2012.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (4/8/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (4/8/2015)

Jason, what screen resolution are you using?

That happens on both of my monitors.

One is 3200x1800 and the other is 1680x1050.

It is an issue in many of the screens in ssms 2014 but not 2012.

Ah. I thought you were referring to 2012. And I'm glad to hear the news about Job Activity Monitor. Thanks.

• As you may be aware, I consider myself more of an OPs-type DBA than a Dev-type DBA. For the most part, my job involves keeping the servers up, running, patched, and happy. I don't do SSIS, I don't do stored procedures to implement business logic, and I don't create reports in SSRS.

That being said, because of a recent loss of an Agent job (customer created and owned,) I was looking for ways to script out and back up the jobs (beyond backing up MSDB, which we already do.) My thought was to select out the sysjobs and sysjobssteps tables into another DB on a regular basis.

But, how to do this without doing something like truncating the tables ever time, and also keeping jobs that have been (intentionally) deleted?

MERGE to the rescue!

So, I dug up some examples, and figured out MERGE!

:w00t:

Dang, I love a puzzle!

• Grant Fritchey (4/8/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (4/8/2015)

Grant Fritchey (4/8/2015)

Probably get in a little trouble for this, but since I know that many of you are both SF fans and, let's just say, not on the same wavelength as I am politically (socially I think we're all largely aligned), "your side" is seriously crossing the line[/url]. Might want to reign them in a bit.

For non-US folks, which side are you referring to?

It's actually hard to quantify, but the reductionist answer would be, Left vs. Right on the political spectrum.

Looks like totalitarian left in this instance, not the liberal left we sometimes see in Europe and which I guess may exist in the USA too (although of course in American English you can't call them that, because what you mean by "liberal" is what we mean by "illiberal"). I hate the totalitarian left exactly as much as I hate the extremist right.

However (a) I like some of Larry's books (the ones I've read) despite their being not at all my sort of book, and (b) I've noticed that Hugos have been going to some pretty mediocre writers and (c) I would prefer to see Hugos awarded for good writing and not for having the correct politics or licking the right asses. So Brad's blog piece struck a note with me and I know which side of that little discussion I would be on.

But I don't know which side you think needs reigning in, which I thought was what Koen was asking.

Tom

• TomThomson (4/8/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (4/8/2015)

Probably get in a little trouble for this, but since I know that many of you are both SF fans and, let's just say, not on the same wavelength as I am politically (socially I think we're all largely aligned), "your side" is seriously crossing the line[/url]. Might want to reign them in a bit.

For non-US folks, which side are you referring to?

It's actually hard to quantify, but the reductionist answer would be, Left vs. Right on the political spectrum.

Looks like totalitarian left in this instance, not the liberal left we sometimes see in Europe and which I guess may exist in the USA too (although of course in American English you can't call them that, because what you mean by "liberal" is what we mean by "illiberal"). I hate the totalitarian left exactly as much as I hate the extremist right.

However (a) I like some of Larry's books (the ones I've read) despite their being not at all my sort of book, and (b) I've noticed that Hugos have been going to some pretty mediocre writers and (c) I would prefer to see Hugos awarded for good writing and not for having the correct politics or licking the right asses. So Brad's blog piece struck a note with me and I know which side of that little discussion I would be on.

But I don't know which side you think needs reigning in, which I thought was what Koen was asking.

I'll just say that I thought that Brad made a hell of a point. I'm just bummed that he had to make it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 15 posts - 48,121 through 48,135 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply