Are the posted questions getting worse?

• TomThomson (3/20/2015)

spaghettidba (3/19/2015)

It has to be said that the Italian language doesn't help either: "the surgeon" translates to "il chirurgo", which is a masculine word to indicate the job, not the person, so it can be used for male and female. As soon as you hear "il chirurgo", you immediately think of a male surgeon, because that's literally what was said.

Is it really against the rules to say "la chirurgo" or use "chirurga"? After all I can use "chirugienne" as well as "chirugien" in French, cirujana as well as cirujano in Spanish, and Chirurgin as well as Chirurg in German, and bana-léigh as well as lamh-léigh in Gàidhlig, so in the four languages I know best where there is a regular distinction between male and female professionals it is used to sex surgeons. So I would expect the similar general mechanism to be usable in Italian too.

Incidentally, that means I almost certainly would use "la chirurga" if the situation ever turned up, so I hope it is neither offensive nor incomprehensible.

"La chirurgo" or "la chirurga" are not acceptable in Italian. The president of the Parliament (a woman) is trying to promote the use of feminine nouns for job positions held by female people, but it's not how the Italian language works. There are more intelligent ways to promote gender equality.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• TomThomson (3/20/2015)

Over the years I have met two employment agents whom I believe are probably competent; that's a rather small portion of the employment agents I've met.

I reckon the growth of empyment agencies over the last few decades has been a disaster both for engineers (incluing DBAs all other varieties of software and computing hardware developers) and for employers; the only people who have benefitted from it are clueless employment agents.

Now that I've been working in the field for a little over 2 years now with another 7 in software development, I have a lot of those agencies reaching out to me. From my experience, almost all of them are garbage. Those that even specialize in what I do specifically in IT or software development seem to be the worst.

The biggest issue is the people involved on the agency side of course. I mean, most of the time, they have zero clue about anything. They can't even communicate opportunities correctly either. For example, they say it's with SQL Server only and it's specifically for everything but SQL Server. The biggest offender is years of experience. They play it off like a junior role, but then it turns out being a super senior role where the employer is looking for the creators of the interwebs themselves. Then they get pissed at you like it was your fault for wasting their time like I knew they wanted the masia of DBA's.

• spaghettidba (3/21/2015)

TomThomson (3/20/2015)

spaghettidba (3/19/2015)

It has to be said that the Italian language doesn't help either: "the surgeon" translates to "il chirurgo", which is a masculine word to indicate the job, not the person, so it can be used for male and female. As soon as you hear "il chirurgo", you immediately think of a male surgeon, because that's literally what was said.

Is it really against the rules to say "la chirurgo" or use "chirurga"? After all I can use "chirugienne" as well as "chirugien" in French, cirujana as well as cirujano in Spanish, and Chirurgin as well as Chirurg in German, and bana-léigh as well as lamh-léigh in Gàidhlig, so in the four languages I know best where there is a regular distinction between male and female professionals it is used to sex surgeons. So I would expect the similar general mechanism to be usable in Italian too.

Incidentally, that means I almost certainly would use "la chirurga" if the situation ever turned up, so I hope it is neither offensive nor incomprehensible.

"La chirurgo" or "la chirurga" are not acceptable in Italian. The president of the Parliament (a woman) is trying to promote the use of feminine nouns for job positions held by female people, but it's not how the Italian language works. There are more intelligent ways to promote gender equality.

Slightly digressing, would Dottoressa be formal or colloquial?

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (3/21/2015)

spaghettidba (3/21/2015)

TomThomson (3/20/2015)

spaghettidba (3/19/2015)

😎

Perfectly acceptable: it means "female doctor". Some jobs or roles have the feminine equivalent, some others don't. It probably has to do with jobs that historically have been held by both genders. The complaint of our President of Parliament is that important roles such as Mayor or President have no feminine equivalent, so they look like roles that only men can take. Her "solution" is to make up non-existent words such as "Sindaca" or "Presidenta". It's ridiculous: you cannot change the language like that.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• spaghettidba (3/22/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (3/21/2015)

spaghettidba (3/21/2015)

TomThomson (3/20/2015)

spaghettidba (3/19/2015)

😎

Perfectly acceptable: it means "female doctor". Some jobs or roles have the feminine equivalent, some others don't. It probably has to do with jobs that historically have been held by both genders. The complaint of our President of Parliament is that important roles such as Mayor or President have no feminine equivalent, so they look like roles that only men can take. Her "solution" is to make up non-existent words such as "Sindaca" or "Presidenta". It's ridiculous: you cannot change the language like that.

The same problems exists in Icelandic and the way it's been solved is to prefix the proper address, i.e. Mr. President / Ms. President (Herra Forseti / Frú Forseti), changing the words to a different gender normally doesn't make sense.

😎

• Now where is the Crystal Ball?

😎

• Speaking on getting hired and the job market, here is an interesting read:

http://lifehacker.com/the-programming-skills-jobs-and-company-types-that-pa-1692152608

• xsevensinzx (3/22/2015)

Speaking on getting hired and the job market, here is an interesting read:

http://lifehacker.com/the-programming-skills-jobs-and-company-types-that-pa-1692152608

Quite interesting but my suspicion is that the picture painted there is slightly skewed as there is more to the salaries than the programming languages on the Resume.

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (3/22/2015)

xsevensinzx (3/22/2015)

Quite interesting but my suspicion is that the picture painted there is slightly skewed as there is more to the salaries than the programming languages on the Resume.

😎

I would say not even slightly interesting. It's such a shallow study that nothing it says actually means anything in the real world. It's certainly true that the languages on teh CV are not what determines salary. Of course recruitment agencies, bing completely incompetent at evaluating candidates or classifying jobs, think they are, and they are probebly the people who feed the data into nonsense like this.

Tom

Now where is the Crystal Ball?

😎

Don't think it's going to help much

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • TomThomson (3/20/2015)

Alvin Ramard (3/20/2015)

Maybe it's time to reboot the server in which life is running.

Oh God, would that mean I have to go back to square one and make all the same mistakes again? Or would I be given a new start and be able to get in wrong differently?

DBCC TIMEWARP is a wonderful thing.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• xsevensinzx (3/22/2015)

Wait... 11-15 years of experience get paid less than up to 10 years of experience?

That seems a little odd.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (3/23/2015)

xsevensinzx (3/22/2015)

Wait... 11-15 years of experience get paid less than up to 10 years of experience?

That seems a little odd.

Subtle hint to retire and work at Walmart?

Kind of like when they ask for 5 years of experience with a product that was released to Beta 3 years ago.

Sometimes logic is not part of the equation.

Now where is the Crystal Ball?

😎

If you find it, I think this query can only be done if the WITH (CrystalBall) join hint is used.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1670606-391-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Greg Edwards-268690 (3/23/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (3/23/2015)

xsevensinzx (3/22/2015)

That seems a little odd.

Subtle hint to retire and work at Walmart?

Kind of like when they ask for 5 years of experience with a product that was released to Beta 3 years ago.

Sometimes logic is not part of the equation.

I've seen that exact situation before myself. They wanted 10 years experience with .NET when v1.0 had only been out for 4 years ago. I've also seen 8 years experience with SQL 2008, but it was only 2009. I think the second one was more blatant because the year was right in the product name.

Viewing 15 posts - 47,881 through 47,895 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply