Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (3/20/2015)

I'm trying to figure out if this one is real or not. Anyone seen this? (click the link on the tweet).

https://twitter.com/petercopters/status/578548234756485120

Saw it, might be real, I'm not getting on one anytime soon.

So Scott Adams stepped into the gender bias debate and he has some interesting conclusions. I thought you all might like to read this.

Very interesting. I like the way he approached things and it makes sense. No time to read through all the links or study it, but I've always been skeptical of the 75% thing. I do think that 5-10% is likely, and 10% is certainly too much.

BWFC (3/20/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (3/20/2015)

I'm trying to figure out if this one is real or not. Anyone seen this? (click the link on the tweet).

It's real alright.

Wow. Just ... WOW.

Yeah, speechless.

Would a man with the title of Nurse or CNA be locked out of the men's locker room as well? Doesn't seem to be a stretch based on the 19th century attitude of that gym.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (3/20/2015)

BWFC (3/20/2015)

It's real alright.

Wow. Just ... WOW.

Yeah, speechless.

Would a man with the title of Nurse or CNA be locked out of the men's locker room as well? Doesn't seem to be a stretch based on the 19th century attitude of that gym.

The male nurse probably would not complain about having to use the women's locker room. 😀

Hard to believe how some people still think. :w00t:

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (3/20/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/20/2015)

BWFC (3/20/2015)

It's real alright.

Wow. Just ... WOW.

Yeah, speechless.

The male nurse probably would not complain about having to use the women's locker room. 😀

To me it seems more like a bug in the software. At least that's what I hope.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (3/20/2015)

Alvin Ramard (3/20/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/20/2015)

BWFC (3/20/2015)

It's real alright.

Wow. Just ... WOW.

Yeah, speechless.

A bug in the human mind?

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Koen Verbeeck (3/20/2015)

Alvin Ramard (3/20/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/20/2015)

BWFC (3/20/2015)

It's real alright.

Wow. Just ... WOW.

Yeah, speechless.

A bug in the human mind?

Sure. In the mind of whoever coded that software.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• spaghettidba (3/20/2015)

Alvin Ramard (3/20/2015)

Alvin Ramard (3/20/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/20/2015)

BWFC (3/20/2015)

It's real alright.

Wow. Just ... WOW.

Yeah, speechless.

A bug in the human mind?

Nope, I just read the comments for that piece of code.

The comments state:

--works as coded per business rules

Learn Extended Events

• spaghettidba (3/20/2015)

Alvin Ramard (3/20/2015)

Alvin Ramard (3/20/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/20/2015)

BWFC (3/20/2015)

It's real alright.

Wow. Just ... WOW.

Yeah, speechless.

A bug in the human mind?

Agreed - sounds like a bug. Someone was short-sighted (or no-sighted) along the line somewhere.

• Maybe it's time to reboot the server in which life is running.

Alvin Ramard

• andrew gothard (3/20/2015)

Oh, agencies do filter like that. The place I work at present is very good with respect to being anything blind. I've known the Dev manager specifically state "look, this place only cares about how good they are, gender, colour, preference, age means nothing, we'll take the best that wants to work here, end of." Cue lists of mid 20 white men (mostly). The Indian female who applied directly via the website for the Senior Dev role, and aced it - I mean blew the lads from the agencies out of the water, had actually been registered with one of them for a while. Never got a nibble.

Indeed agencies do filter like that, at least on this side of the pond. But as a manager who had to recruit people I formed the view that agencies had an anti-talent or perhaps an anti-competence prejudice rather than a sexual or racial prejudice (or anything they could have been prosecuted for under UK or EU anti-discrimination regulations).

Filtering on competence isn't against the law, whereas on gender (a common practise, I believe, regrettably) or on skin colour (perhaps less common than on sex now), or on religion (also common, which is why we had about 50 years of hell in NE Ireland recently and that's just prejudice between denominations of one - Christian - religion) it is illegal. But because they prefer not to end up in court agencies are very good at pretending that all their filtering is on legal grounds, snd the get away with it. But although thre is plenty of illegal filtering, there is more legal filteing based on competence - and excluding competent people in favour of competents because your evlution methods are incompetent beyond belief is perfectly legal, and it's what most agencies do.

It also seems much like the same from the other side of the picture. I worked for 9 different outfits (apart from vac jobs when I was in age range 16-21) before I retired: exactly zero of them was a job I found through an agency; three of them were jobs that I'd applied for through an agency but my details hadn't been passed on to the the employing company, which I later contacted independently. Three were where I contacted the firm first without any agency involvement (in two of those cases the firm was actually using an agency, which had advertised only in places where no-one suitable would see the advert). Three were were by direct personal recommendation, no job advert and no agency (or at least no advert and no agency that I had seen).

So in the five cases where an agency was involved, they had screwed it up. In the four cases where they weren't innvolved, they hadn't screwed it up, but only because they hadn't been given the opportunity to do so.

Over the years I have met two employment agents whom I believe are probably competent; that's a rather small portion of the employment agents I've met.

I reckon the growth of empyment agencies over the last few decades has been a disaster both for engineers (incluing DBAs all other varieties of software and computing hardware developers) and for employers; the only people who have benefitted from it are clueless employment agents.

Tom

• spaghettidba (3/19/2015)

It has to be said that the Italian language doesn't help either: "the surgeon" translates to "il chirurgo", which is a masculine word to indicate the job, not the person, so it can be used for male and female. As soon as you hear "il chirurgo", you immediately think of a male surgeon, because that's literally what was said.

Is it really against the rules to say "la chirurgo" or use "chirurga"? After all I can use "chirugienne" as well as "chirugien" in French, cirujana as well as cirujano in Spanish, and Chirurgin as well as Chirurg in German, and bana-léigh as well as lamh-léigh in Gàidhlig, so in the four languages I know best where there is a regular distinction between male and female professionals it is used to sex surgeons. So I would expect the similar general mechanism to be usable in Italian too.

Incidentally, that means I almost certainly would use "la chirurga" if the situation ever turned up, so I hope it is neither offensive nor incomprehensible.

Tom

Maybe it's time to reboot the server in which life is running.

Oh God, would that mean I have to go back to square one and make all the same mistakes again? Or would I be given a new start and be able to get in wrong differently?

Tom

• A cool project and compassionate corporation: http://www.ricoh.com/csr/savethememory/chapter1/

Maybe it's time to reboot the server in which life is running.

Funny. After talking to some friends today after their travel woes.

After boarding the plane, everybody had to deboard. The pilots tried to reboot the plane three times and something was still not working properly so they made everybody get off while the engineers checked it out again.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 47,866 through 47,880 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply