Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ed Wagner (1/10/2014)

I like to think I've gotten better at both of these items with age. Knowing everything and talking over other people is something that many people struggle with at one point or another during their lives. With wisdom comes patience and with knowledge comes humility.

That last sentence says a lot.

The more you know, the more evident it is that you don't know it all.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (1/10/2014)

Ed Wagner (1/10/2014)

I like to think I've gotten better at both of these items with age. Knowing everything and talking over other people is something that many people struggle with at one point or another during their lives. With wisdom comes patience and with knowledge comes humility.

Thanks.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (1/10/2014)

Ed Wagner (1/10/2014)

+100. So true

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• rodjkidd (1/8/2014)

So I've had to spend most of the day working directly on a server via RDP. Only it's in Europe, so one hour ahead. Was sitting here thinking, wow lots of people still in the office for 6 pm... Oh yeah it's really 5 pm... Was then getting ready to leave 😀

Rodders...

Happy new year to you too.:-D

Can I assume from you message that you think Lisbon isn't in Europe, and neither is Athens? That would be news to the Portuguese and the Greeks, I'm sure! :hehe:

Tom

• GilaMonster (1/10/2014)

BWFC (1/10/2014)

There is a philosophical question, often kicked around our office, about what happens when two people who know everything have an argument.

I'm sure I've seen that on gaming forums. 10+ page arguments that degrade into insults and name calling.

"COME AND FIGHT ME IRL F****T"

Isn't that usually how it ends? Only with less accurate spelling on the big words.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hi Gail,

Just to follow up on a question you posted on the Thread (is that a Threaded question? 😉 You were looking for an editor for the iPad for writing. Did you manage to pick a finalist?

Fal.

• Grant Fritchey (1/12/2014)

GilaMonster (1/10/2014)

BWFC (1/10/2014)

There is a philosophical question, often kicked around our office, about what happens when two people who know everything have an argument.

I'm sure I've seen that on gaming forums. 10+ page arguments that degrade into insults and name calling.

"COME AND FIGHT ME IRL F****T"

Isn't that usually how it ends? Only with less accurate spelling on the big words.

This is usually preceded by some obscure references to Nazis and Hitler...

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Fal (1/12/2014)

Hi Gail,

Just to follow up on a question you posted on the Thread (is that a Threaded question? 😉 You were looking for an editor for the iPad for writing. Did you manage to pick a finalist?

No, haven't investigated the options much yet.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • L' Eomot Inversé (1/10/2014)

rodjkidd (1/8/2014)

So I've had to spend most of the day working directly on a server via RDP. Only it's in Europe, so one hour ahead. Was sitting here thinking, wow lots of people still in the office for 6 pm... Oh yeah it's really 5 pm... Was then getting ready to leave 😀

Rodders...

Happy new year to you too.:-D

Can I assume from you message that you think Lisbon isn't in Europe, and neither is Athens? That would be news to the Portuguese and the Greeks, I'm sure! :hehe:

Tom,

And a happy new year to you too!

I make no assumptions of other parts of Europe just this one little part of Europe the server was sitting in 😉 . France to be exact. And it was defiantly one hour ahead. Please insert you own joke there 😀

It always amazes me that the whole of UK is in the same time zone - er oh go on then insert you own joke there as well!

Rodders...

• Oh and in other news,

Now going to SQL Saturday Chicago end of April as I'm in town.

Anyone from the Thread going?

Oh which reminds me, attending the BI SQL Skills and the Hardware one the week after. Anyone planning on attending these or the other SQL Skills courses on at the same time (April 28 - May 2, and May 5-6)

Sadly got to fly back on the 6 as I'm seeing Yes in London on the Thursday - actually forgot I had a ticket and almost booked flights and hotel for the whole of the second week.

Rodders...

• Rodd, do you know anything about the next SQL Bits? I've asked on twitter, silence, web site hasn't been updated in ages. Was hoping to visit the UK for that.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (1/13/2014)

Rodd, do you know anything about the next SQL Bits? I've asked on twitter, silence, web site hasn't been updated in ages. Was hoping to visit the UK for that.

From the blog of Chris Webb:

I’m also still involved with SQLBits but please, please don’t ask me when the next SQLBits will be – we don’t have anything to announce yet but I can assure you we are working on it and I promise there will be one in 2014

Posted about 2 weeks ago.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (1/13/2014)

GilaMonster (1/13/2014)

Rodd, do you know anything about the next SQL Bits? I've asked on twitter, silence, web site hasn't been updated in ages. Was hoping to visit the UK for that.

I’m also still involved with SQLBits but please, please don’t ask me when the next SQLBits will be – we don’t have anything to announce yet but I can assure you we are working on it and I promise there will be one in 2014

Cool, thanks. Am hoping it's middle of the year, late will conflict with PASS.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (1/13/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (1/13/2014)

GilaMonster (1/13/2014)

Cool, thanks. Am hoping it's middle of the year, late will conflict with PASS.

Both,

It's very frustrating here as well. Anyone who does know anything is keeping tight lipped. Last Years was May 4. So it still could be around then give or take a few weeks - hope I'm not in Chicago. :O

I don't think the committee want to run two a year any more so it should be first half of the year - as you say otherwise it could end up too close to the Summit and the European Rally (s)

Tim said via twitter in November they had an interesting venue in mind and were trying to sort out contracts. No idea if the silence means this has fallen through. Also someone did ask one of the committee about the location, I believe "North of Watford" was odds on favourite.

My feeling is we will know before the end of the month so long as there hasn't been any issues with contracts.

Sorry can't be of much help otherwise 🙁

Rodders...

• You have got to love where I work at the moment.

Colleague went to French office last week, and today can't seem to connect to anything. Wondered if config changes on laptop or firewall rules now thought his machine was French... But no network team re-patched his network cable last week not realising it was his desk.

They have asked for a call to be logged so they can assign time to fix the issue. So sorry we can't do it right now even though it was us who caused it.

Last week had a problem with a job, I fixed the issue but had to wait until the job ran next time to make sure it had really fixed the issue (test server anyone), so service desk closed the call - I, erm, politely asked them to re-open it as we hadn't actually seen it work yet.

Rodders...

Viewing 15 posts - 42,571 through 42,585 (of 66,680 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply